Hi All,

Not sure what side is up or down on the distributor clamp. Starting to think that this might have been a factor in my seized up distributor.

Yves

IMG_1725.jpg

Looks like that is the bottom face.  
When fitted the centre bit that clamps the distributor should be away from the engine.  So the ears with the bolt holes are flat to the housing.

Peter W

Thanks Peter.

What would be the consequences if fitted up side down. The distributor would sit higher/lower but would that be enough to do damage? 

Yves

Problem is like this one, people get ham fisted and over-tighten the bolt, thinking the distributor’s going to fall out, sometimes to the point of crushing the distributor body! The gap should be almost parallel with just a pinch to stop the distributor moving.

Kevin 

27 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Problem is like this one, people get ham fisted and over-tighten the bolt, thinking the distributor’s going to fall out, sometimes to the point of crushing the distributor body! The gap should be almost parallel with just a pinch to stop the distributor moving.

Kevin 

I agree Kevin, I probably did over-tighten this, scared that the distributor would come undone.

Yves

2 hours ago, classic225 said:

I agree Kevin, I probably did over-tighten this, scared that the distributor would come undone.

Yves

Not all your fault Yves, unfortunately it was not a brilliant design allowing far too much scope for over tightening.

Kevin