Good morning everybody,

I had the differenial out some times, also the prop shaft, but do not remember what happened yesterday:

moving the prop shaft flange from the diff flange "an amount" of oil poured over me.

Looking at the illustration at the work shop manual it seems likely oil can go there.

Did I forget this happend before or is ths new?

Enjoy your Sunday, Marco

Hello Marco,
this can be called normal.
The oil runs through the teeth of the cardan flange.
The oil also comes through the side flange.
here it runs through the groove of the feather key.
So always put a little silicone sealant under the washer / flange and it stays tight.
The toothing is best glued with Loctite to exclude micro-movements. The reason for the sometimes far too large tolerances on the toothing, which has the consequence that the bearing preload decreases. You can then loosen the castle nut with your fingers!
Best wishes
Ralf

Yes to the oil seepage along the pinion spline and into the area the flange nut is.

Fix or reduce the problem by using sealant under the big washer.

Triumph fitted a cap over the area on Spitfire etc

item 28 here. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/spitfire/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials/rear-axle-spitfire-mki-1500-1962-80.html

5CCC6EBF-3D08-4B4C-B942-6D43BFFAEF67.jpeg

Hi Ralf and Peter,

thank you for your aswers and confirmation for this issue.

As I want to reduce projects I will check whether the nut is tight and do nothing else there.

Perhaps I could use a paper seal between the flanges to, but I don't remember much oil there - until I disconnected them.

I should have some rags handy next time....

Ciao, Marco

It is worth as stated above removing the split pin and re torquing the pinion nut to re load the pinion bearings, while you have access. Blob of sealant under the washer.

Peter W

Hi Ralf and Peter,

indeed the castle nut was loosen and it was able to twist the flang while shaft and nut did not move.

Could it be the reasopn why I never realized that massiv oli there as it poured over me a few days ago: this was tight and became slack.

All is out and this could be the moment to change the lip seal too - if this is possible while the diff is still in the car.

It looks like big concentric "shim" holds it in position with the 4 nuts holing also the crossmember.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
4 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Ralf and Peter,

indeed the castle nut was loosen and it was able to twist the flang while shaft and nut did not move.

Could it be the reasopn why I never realized that massiv oli there as it poured over me a few days ago: this was tight and became slack.

All is out and this could be the moment to change the lip seal too - if this is possible while the diff is still in the car.

It looks like big concentric "shim" holds it in position with the 4 nuts holing also the crossmember.

Ciao, Marco

Under the heads of the bolts that hold the front support bracket to the differential case there may be star washers.
  If so remove them to extract and refit the diff nose seal as they overhang the diameter of the seal housing area and stop the seal going in or out.    Consider too using speedi sleeve on the pinion drive flange if the seal area is grooved.   
Peter W

Hi Peter,

thank you, in this case I let it in position and only tight up the nut,

it was never much unsealed, just that much as you expect it from a car of the 60-ies.

Ciao, Marco

While I'm waiting for the 1 1/8 socket to torque the nut I ask myself how it can become slack with the wire in?

Is there a problem with the spacer and a need to shim the bearings of the pinion new?

Ciao, Marco

Wear in the bearing?

FWIW, the threads in my pinion nut stripped and it wouldn’t hold its torque. I had to buy a new nut. The pinion was ok because that is much higher quality material. 

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, Z320 said:

While I'm waiting for the 1 1/8 socket to torque the nut I ask myself how it can become slack with the wire in?

Is there a problem with the spacer and a need to shim the bearings of the pinion new?

Ciao, Marco

I have noticed fretting between the outer bearing inner race and the end of the drive flange that abuts it.   Look at yours, is it as new or has it signs of wear?   The ‘pack’ of spacer and shims between the two bearings is probably not worn.

There are two actions on the drive flange.   Rotation from the engine (drive) or the axle via the diff. (Over run)  Plus axial from the reaction between the hypoid bevel gear and the crown wheel. In both drive and over run. Hence the bigger bearing under the pinion head that takes the most axial load.   Those movements I suspect account for the fretting between drive flange and the first bearing.

Hi Peter,

thank you for switching the light on!

It can't be the bearings and not the distancer and shims between, it could only be what you descripe or the solid washer is punched / worn / bended!

This would make it passible to retorque it with not very much worry.

Sadly I'm out for work until 18:00, I take a look later.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Marco,

If you are concerned the bearing pre load may be wrong now…….

Before refitting a new seal.

Check torque to turn drive flange before tightening the pinion nut.  Use spring balance and fixed lever length.  Note this figure.

Assemble the drive flange +washer+ nut and torque the nut to its intended tightness.  

Check the drive flange torque to turn diff now using same lever and spring balance. 
NB. -  There is a figure for bearing pre load in the workshop manual.

Do a simple sum to determine the increase in torque required now the bearings are pretty loaded.  That is your bearing pre load.

If you like what you find, remove flange, fit seal, fit flange with a sealant under the washer and torque nut.  
Fitting a split pin is not easy, which is why the wire is used.

Peter W

PS. Here is my bearing pre load gauge in use to check crank torque at each stage of engine assembly.  It measures in inch pounds.

CA7D5961-0EBC-45B6-B477-E244312DF96B.jpeg

5613687D-03DF-4D13-858A-6CCC0E9BC439.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That's a nice tool, puts my T bar and spring balance set up to shame. I'll think about making one.

Mick Richards 

24 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

That's a nice tool, puts my T bar and spring balance set up to shame. I'll think about making one.

Mick Richards 

Speeds up diff building too, when setting the pinion bearing pre load of 15-18 ins lbs. 

There was a Churchill tool specifically for Triumph.   Mine is ex Austin Morris. 

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Peter,

I only want to make a fast repair and to understand what I do....

This is the very solid washer (4.5 mm) from the nut side, not very special?

PrzBBDNYdHu1tuiHNB9pzJ4lCHZ3YrKI2nvFJf3k

After about 10 times sliding on fine sand paper the same side looks like this....

TsB-OC2zkSDkwcQsOR52FiEyaw5dGYAo2y003cnO

It is punched in the center and high outside where it sits on the drive flange.

On the toothed side (to the diff) it looks worse like this, the teeth of the flange are visible.

QfnWjYaGYfG1g7BMr25NT_bHRsxzZfkpRKoGV_K1

After silding this side on fine sand paper...

UFaVC-If_XXqVd9-OI3AivWO3jxRU10lJT0mCg_W

I will use it again and just tight it up correctly, the diff worked well about 10 years with some more clonks the last 2 years.

Good to know this very solid washer is not solid enought, but perhaps enough for the next 10 years.

Ciao, Marco

1 1/8" socket was in yesterday,

with the nut 130 Nm tight I found a suitable position to fit the wire.

To tight the nut up with the diff in the car was no problem with my handbrake slightly pulled,

means it holds without problems 130 Nm x 3.7 = 480 Nm. Or is my calculation wrong?

• 3 weeks later...