Fitting the split rear crankshaft oil Seal

Hi everyone  

i have invested in an M35TR Oil seal

The  seal doesn't appear a  split spring which is odd  but my main question is related to fitting using the mandril  should the main bearing housing be nipped up tight before the seal cap bolts are tightened or should the bolts be torqued down to running torque setting 

All the best 

Steve

That's Great Ian many thanks for your help 

One good  turn deserves another, a trick i discovered a while back  when shifting roll pins,  is to set  an automatic centre punch  to as harder setting as possible  and operate on the centre of the roll pin.. it gets the pin moving with out damaging the pin , it can the be finished with a drift  .. used today on the Rocker end pins 

all the best 

Steve

Odd it does not mention the split steel spring which fits inside the viton seal.

I bought just the viton seal (& spring) from the TR shop, & It was made by Bastuk, but I followed the Christian Marx instructions:

Mad Marx splitseal.pdf

Bob

Latest one I used had a split spring that joined by screwing one end of the spring into the other.

Previous springs had hooks at each end.

Peter W

certainly would have expected to have a spring to exert even load on the lip of the seal to the crank. 

So just received a seal from the TR shop, with spring  but there is no link in the spring. I would have thought trying to stretch the steel spring  to the size of the end of the crank  would have exceeded the elastic limits of the spring ,  has anyone had experience with the one piece spring???

All the best

Steve

Surely there must be a join in the spring. If not how would it be made?

The join might be difficult to find without a bit of magnification and maybe a slight stretch to reveal it. 

Good point Andrew, will check again . I am also assuming that the back of the seal faces the sump ?  It would help if the instructions contained this information

cheers

Steve

Steve,

The instructions do, review the selection of photos which accompany the published Christian Marx instructions earlier in this thread. It shows the “open” side of the seal facing inwards away from the back of crank, you need that space to fiddle the springs in afterwards.

Mick Richards

26 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Steve,

The instructions do, review the selection of photos which accompany the published Christian Marx instructions earlier in this thread. It shows the “open” side of the seal facing inwards away from the back of crank, you need that space to fiddle the springs in afterwards.

Mick Richards

I had  tried twisting the spring to unlock it but no joy  i think the issue  was the quality of the  joint, which  was very good . I loaded the spring slightly and after much twisting it came apart  so many thanks Mick 

7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Mobius strip !!!

Wasn’t she in “Debbie Does Dallas”. ?

Mick Richards

On 5/20/2021 at 11:19 PM, Nobbysr said:

certainly would have expected to have a spring to exert even load on the lip of the seal to the crank. 

So just received a seal from the TR shop, with spring  but there is no link in the spring. I would have thought trying to stretch the steel spring  to the size of the end of the crank  would have exceeded the elastic limits of the spring ,  has anyone had experience with the one piece spring???

All the best

Steve

Just done this using the one from TR shop. It had instructions with it and I followed them. Yes I was worried about exceeding the elastic limit but it didn't. You put the spring over the end first on its own, then put the seal around and then manipulate the spring back into the seal. 

I now have a TR3A that doesn't leak from anywhere. Really happy I took the plunge to take the job(s). All down to reading Bob's engine rebuild (which is beyond my limits but got me thinking about tackling all the leaks) 

Neil

Edited by NCS_TR3A
14 hours ago, Lebro said:

I used a tiny amount of silicone as stated in the Marx instructions. (& he invented it)

Bob

Me too, and put the join at the top on the crank for obvious reasons.

Neil

I went back to the seal and the join in the spring was hard to find, but consisted of a taper so that one end twists into the coils of the other end. I  secured the seal in housing  with spot of silicone sealer about 20mm apart around the circumference.

The first seal i purchased on Ebay didn't  have a lip that secured the spring  The TR shop version held the spring securely so it was easy to fit with a couple of thin electrical screw divers.. bottom end and pistons  done now just need to fit a new cam and setv the valve timing 

IMG_4180.jpg

Posted May 20 

If you look closer you will see a join. One end tapers down, & when twisted will unscrew from the other end. Do the reverse to reconnect once over the crank

Bob

Don't rush the valve timing once set & all back in the car it's a lot of work to correct it !

What cam (& followers) are you using ?

Bob.