My son has had a mini kitchen installed in his spare room over the garage. There is no room for a hob, but there is an oven and 'fridge and a single sink with a wooden worktop. The kitchen designer has included a portable Induction hob. It seemed like a good idea. 

The electrician , who is responsible for all the electrical work, has instructed us not to use the hob as it could burn down the whole building. It is timber framed construction with wood  cladding,  and cedar shingle roofing.

Is there any member who is up to speed on induction hobs and potential danger ?

Please help ?  Richard & B

When our kitchen was under construction we used a portable induction hob we bought from Ikea, cost £34. Worked brilliantly, I would recommend it. Just plug into a 13A socket and it works. No worries at all. 

Mick

We have had an ordinary built in induction hob in the kitchen for 8 years.  No issues. 

i would follow portable hob instructions.

If it’s a mains plug version the property electrics should cope. 

be interesting to hear the electricians reasoning ?

Perhaps he found a fault on the hob, maybe the socket where it is plugged in isn't capable of supplying enough current, or perhaps it's something to do with where it is sited?  An induction hob will heat any ferrous metal object which gets close to the surface. 

You really need to ask his reasons for the warning. 

3 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

My son has had a mini kitchen installed in his spare room over the garage. There is no room for a hob, but there is an oven and 'fridge and a single sink with a wooden worktop. The kitchen designer has included a portable Induction hob. It seemed like a good idea. 

The electrician , who is responsible for all the electrical work, has instructed us not to use the hob as it could burn down the whole building. It is timber framed construction with wood  cladding,  and cedar shingle roofing.

Is there any member who is up to speed on induction hobs and potential danger ?

Please help ?  Richard & B

The danger is useing the wrong pan’s 

27 minutes ago, ntc said:

The danger is useing the wrong pan’s 

Where's the danger in that Neil?  If you use the wrong type of pan it just doesn't get hot.  

We have had induction hobs for 25 years, ruined two pans, well my wife has, lifted the pan off the hob, emptied the contents and put the pan back on the hob without turning it off, no flame or hot ring to see, works by magic!!

Under normal circumstances Induction hob are as safe as any other , unless the item is faulty or not to uk safety standards.

Google induction hob faults and induction hob fires, there are some useful articles come up. In general the causes of fires are the same as for any other type of hob.