Oil pressure sensor modification.

Hi everyone, 

I was just having a look around the MU area of my 1973 CR and noticed a T connection on my pressure sensor and a line going to the top of the engine block. This looks like a mod to me am I right or is this standard? 

I think it is to get oil up to the top of the engine, but I'm confused. I've never seen this anywhere before and wondered what your thoughts were please. 

I don't have a problem with it as far as I know, just curious about this set up. 

I have attached a picture, to make it easier to understand. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Rob

20210515_122152.jpg

Hi Rob.

It's an extra oil feed for the head, not really needed on a standard set up. What's your oil pressure like as it can rob stuf ?

cheers Mark

Thanks for your replies gents.

So it looks as I suspected. I don’t have any problems at the moment that I am aware of, so this either means it’s not causing any problems or it is solving a problem that I am not aware of.
Oil pressure is currently good, but I have removed a few other mods made by the PO which were unnecessary. So I would be up for removing this. Easy at the sensor end but I would need a suitable plug in the engine block.

Would the threaded connection in the block have already been there or would this have been drilled and tapped...if so how do I source a suitable plug for this?

By the way I love marmite but I don’t like unnecessary mods! :-)

Cheers

Rob

32 minutes ago, Rob Y said:

Thanks for your replies gents.

So it looks as I suspected. I don’t have any problems at the moment that I am aware of, so this either means it’s not causing any problems or it is solving a problem that I am not aware of.
Oil pressure is currently good, but I have removed a few other mods made by the PO which were unnecessary. So I would be up for removing this. Easy at the sensor end but I would need a suitable plug in the engine block.

Would the threaded connection in the block have already been there or would this have been drilled and tapped...if so how do I source a suitable plug for this?

By the way I love marmite but I don’t like unnecessary mods! :-)

Cheers

Rob

Items 6&7 here.  
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/cylinder-head-fittings/cylinder-head-tr5-6-1967-76.html#6

Hi Rob,

I deleted this mod from my car which had it fitted when I bought it. The hole already has a standard UNF thread, it is normally plugged with a bolt and copper seal washer. They are listed in the Moss catalogue on the cylinder head page.

If you delve back through the forum opinion is divided on the value of this mod. for a standard engine.

Some say that it leads to over oiling and leaks from the rocker, or that it reduces flow or pressure in other parts, and advise fitting a restrictor in the line if it is used.

Mike.

Brilliant thanks!

I looked on the Rimmers site, exploded diagram and didn’t see the mod there but what’s shown on the Moss one is clearly what I’ve got.....or had. It’s going! Especially after reading back some older threads on the subject.

Thanks guys for your support.

Rob 

At normal engine temperature A tube connecting the head to mains oil galley will lower mains pressure by some amount during non PRV operation periods.
No idea if anybody has taken tests with pressure/flow measurements & the other tens of variables that need measured. LOL.
I have heard that those that are willingly fitted have flow restrictors installed.
It has its merits when the oil is thick though as going to head is better than going to sump..

Cheers,

Iain.