Sun Visor Brackets

Hi Folks,

over the last week I have been making a TR4 and TR4A sun visor brackets. I still have to finish some parts for a couple of members.

The 4A bracket rods are cranked. Otherwise they are very similar.

The central boss starts life as a 1" x 1" x 1.75" piece of Ali bar.

I started off by drilling the three holes - central attachment and the two rod holes. The rod holes are a little awkward as they have a 3 degree angle to them.

This is then roughed into shape with a rasp or serious coarse file. And then gently shaped with a 60 grit sanding disc. The 60 grit is exchanged for 180,240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit ti get to a surface ready for polishing with Auotsol.

The end mounts go through a similar process but start life as a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1.5" block

I attach the rods but taping a 1/"UNF thread in the block with a thread on the rod. These are then tightened in with a drop of thread lock added.

The rods are 7mm. I can;t find 7mm mild steel so I use either silver steel or stainless steel. TRiumph's are defo mild steel as they go rusty, BUT where do you get 7mm mild steel

Why didn't they use 1/4"

The process is quite slow and bit labourious but the finished item is very pleasing.

Roger

DSC_5552a.jpg

DSC_5555a.jpg

Lovely job Roger.  7 mm stainless bar is probably a good option.

Did you try to mechanise the polishing process? 

I would first try scotch brite sanding discs in the electric drill clamped in the vise/workmate (in the garden because of the mess) to clean off the file marks and tidy the shape. Then finish with a loose cotton mop with suitable polishing compound. 

Wear gloves as the work get v hot.

Where I have sought polishing supplies  https://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/coarse-80g-scotch-brite-sanding-wheels/

EN1A steel bar 7mm dia x 300 mm long under £4.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133013228561?var=432307402065&hash=item1ef834cc11:g:CSsAAOSwPc9WyGdN

18 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

thanks for the link. I looked and looked but couldn't find it before now.

Thanks folks for your comments.

Roger

Mini Machine do a vast range of metals too.  You can download their catalogue. 
http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/CATALOGUES/metals catalogue.pdf
http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/metals_menu.html

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Folks,

I have no visors on my TR4.

I purchased it as a restoration project so the car was all in pieces but looking at the screen vinyl surround, there are no screw holes.

Could they have been an optional extra ? Is it possible my car never had any ?

RobG  

They were standard fitment.

Has the vinyl been replaced at any time.

If you rub the vinyl surface with your thumb you may just make an impression where the spire clip goes (a rectangular slot and a round hole)

Or you could use the point of a scriber to search for the holes.

Roger

59 minutes ago, RogerH said:

They were standard fitment.

Has the vinyl been replaced at any time.

If you rub the vinyl surface with your thumb you may just make an impression where the spire clip goes (a rectangular slot and a round hole)

Or you could use the point of a scriber to search for the holes.

Roger

I thought that they were an optional extra on TR4 but became standard on TR4a. 

There are people in the Register that constantly amaze me with their brilliance in producing such engineering marvels - Roger and Marco being two I can name.

Keep up the good work!

Keith

p.s. Thanks Marco for the brake fitting spacers you made for me. I shall be sending you some photos by email soon.

p.p.s Thanks also to Roger who sent me the 'covers' for the rear surrey top holes a while ago - another one of his projects.

Roger,

I am sure these are original vinyl as the car was off road and stored in 1988 and I just replaced windscreen seal and looked original.

I can feel the holes below the vinyl but there are no holes in the vinyl, so I reckon they were not fitted to this car from new.

No pictures and cannot ask first owner unfortunately.

Tr4 Project 025.jpg

Edited by RobG