Rear View Mirrors

Hi Jon,

are you into originality or mirrors that work?

On my 4A I've tried a variety and they were all pretty poor, especially when touring on the opposite side of the road.

The best I found and still use is the Audi TT MK1. The mounts take some fettling but the vision is excellent.

Roger

P1040851a.jpg

Hello John, 

The Tr5 had Wingard mirrors, I think probably only Drivers Side from the factory.

I have one on each side and the are adjustable and give a good view.

Cheers Conrad 

I have never had external mirrors on the 4A, preferring the clean lines without them and since they were not fitted when the car was new they are not legally required. I have a TR6 interior mirror, which not only offers a dipping function but also a usefully wider field of view than offered by the original 'postage stamp' type of the 4A. Having the Surrey model with wrap around rear screen I have almost 360 degrees vision and a quick look over either shoulder is enough to check the blind spots.

Tim  

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Following on from Stuart’s suggested TR5 repro mirror I’ve ordered a set of these but from another supplier as below which are £8 per mirror cheaper if anyone else is interested.

https://www.ukmgparts.com/product/mgb-midcat-13-submgb134-mirrors-interior-and-exterior/door-mirror-period-style-622352

Kevin

I have round ‘ital’ type mirrors on BST82B and they are very good. Very sturdy unlike the thin brass and alloy bullet mirrors.

Try either SVC or Marelli for them online.

regards

Tony

Hi Jon,

My TR5 has the original style Winguard mirrors on both doors. The mirror on the driver's side gives a reasonable rear view but try as I might I cannot get a good view from the mirror on the passenger side. I have tried rotating the support and re-positing the mirror head, without success. The driver's door mirror is positioned exactly as a Triumph data sheet a forum member directed me to and on the passenger side the same position has been used. I know that this is not very helpful, but I would be interested to hear how you get on. Perhaps you could get someone to hold the mirror in place on the passenger door to ensure that you can obtain a good view before you drill a hole in the door!

Regards,

Denis

On 5/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, stuart said:

Bit off topic here Stuart but what do you advise for a 1969 UK TR6.

I understand mirrors were not generallyfitted but for safety I'd like to fit them. 

Anyone can the rear view mirror be improved if so with what? 

Thanks

Andy

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Bit off topic here Stuart but what do you advise for a 1969 UK TR6.

I understand mirrors were not generallyfitted but for safety I'd like to fit them. 

Anyone can the rear view mirror be improved if so with what? 

Thanks

Andy

The usual fit when they were new was the generic BL type as fitted to the whole range like this https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-mirror-convex-stainless-steel-rh-gam215a.html

Im not a huge fan of them and prefer this type https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-mirror-flat-stainless-steel-rh-ykc2960.html

Stuart.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 1:21 PM, DenisMc said:

Hi Jon,

My TR5 has the original style Winguard mirrors on both doors. The mirror on the driver's side gives a reasonable rear view but try as I might I cannot get a good view from the mirror on the passenger side. I have tried rotating the support and re-positing the mirror head, without success. The driver's door mirror is positioned exactly as a Triumph data sheet a forum member directed me to and on the passenger side the same position has been used. I know that this is not very helpful, but I would be interested to hear how you get on. Perhaps you could get someone to hold the mirror in place on the passenger door to ensure that you can obtain a good view before you drill a hole in the door!

Regards,

Denis

Hi Denis ,

you’re probably sorted now but this may  help . 

I had the same problem with the replica winguard mirrors and the adjustment became something of an obsession! 
The car Tr5, just had the drivers door mirror fitted when I bought it and I fitted a matching passenger door mirror . 
Neither mirror would adjust inwards enough but the passenger side was way out . 
The mirror glass can be prised out and with a bit of careful grinding the adjustment bolt can be removed. 
Then I slotted the hole in the mirror body with a file until the mirror head would adjust inwards enough. 
The curved outer chromed plate covers the slotted hole but this needs trimming on one side to allow the necessary adjustment. 
I now have both period mirrors set exactly how I want them making for a much easier drive . 
I can now obsess about something else  ! 
hope this helps. 
Dave 

Similar problem with the near-side mirror. I went down a somewhat cruder route - because the arm is spring loaded I inserted at an appropriate location a small spacer between the arm and the base which had the effect of tilting the arm in the correct direction. 
It’s been there for many years now.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Trumpy and Tom for your helpful suggestions. A recent very enjoyable drive out with the Y Ddraig Goch TR Group proved that I must fix the passenger side mirror! Fortunately I didn't have to do any reversing but if I had had to I would have been in trouble....

Denis