Grooves in my axle shaft

I had a leak of diff oil onto my brake shoes.

Replaced axle tube oil seal (GHS185) but still the same, but I did notice bad scoring on the axle shaft, so looking at previous blog history I have ordered SKF 99131 speedi sleeve.

For those not in the know these can repair bad shafts which cost £250 min, so is a bonus, hopefully.

So my question is , what is the best sealant to put on the shaft before installing the sleeve, I have Blue Hylomar, Any good ?

RobG

Mike, thanks for quick reply, good to know it worked for you.

I have some JB Weld which is a similar steel epoxy, reckon that may do the same ?

RobG

Peter W,

Thanks for the post, I will keep that in mind, may be a better option.

Can you remember if the hub has been taken off it ?

Thanks

RobG

4 hours ago, RobG said:

Peter W,

Thanks for the post, I will keep that in mind, may be a better option.

Can you remember if the hub has been taken off it ?

Thanks

RobG

Yes they both have flanges fitted with short wheel studs for wire wheel adapters.

I’d say the speedi sleeve route is the best way to go.  I have a length of scaffold tube I use to fit them with.   
I would not glue the sleeve in case you need to remove it at a later date.  The sleeves are a snug fit on the unworn area of the shaft seal land.

Peter W

Leaking oil onto brake shoes suggests a build up of pressure in the axle associated with rising temperature

You may find that you solve the problem by cleaning out the breather just above the diff

It work for me when I had several ruined brake shoes.

The breather usefully unscrews so can be cleaned out off the diff or replaced with a new if needed

Hope this helps

MichaelH

Edited by MichaelH

MichaelH

Yes good tip, mine was previously blocked and is now clear but oil still leaked after. I put a U bend rubber pipe on to keep **** out.

Ever hopeful me thought that might solve it, but still worth checking.

RobG

Still waiting for my speedi sleeves to turn up. Ordered 10 days ago ebay from engineersmate. Looked at the reviews, ah oh not good. Looks like they send copies.

Will post again when I get them, if at all.

• 1 month later...

Update on this then, speedi seal fitted, still leaks but alarmingly seems to be 3/16" end float, should be 4 to 6 thou,  Oops. Ouch.

Out comes half shaft and it has a shoulder on it, please see other thread Live Axles What the heck ? Must be a US spec axle fitted.

Hub not fitted on properly.

Confused.com

The US spec has a collar shrunk on as opposed to the machined "hip of the GB 4A axle the shaft size is the same.

If you have 3/16 end float - did you put the shims back in between the axle and the halfshaft ?

MichaelH,

Yes agreed, I realise now they are interchangeable, and end float may be a knackered bearing.

Please refer to the other thread now, more details there, look for Live Axles, What the Heck is going on ...

RobG