Gudgen pin clearance

Just trial fitted the gudgen pin into the little ends. Slide in fine and can rotate in the little end holding with fingers but the pin is certainly looser in the pistons and the pin rotates in the piston rather than the little end.

Is that a bit tight and should I ream it or give the little end bearing a light polish with emery?

New or used pistons and gudgeon/wrist pins?

Have the small ends been re-bushed and honed to suit the gudgeon/wrist pins?

The current engine build has original PowerMax 87 mm pistons going in with Maxpeeding rods and that requires the pistons to be heated to get the pins to slip in and out. The oiled pins slip nicely into the room temp con rods. No attention required to the rods or small ends.

PITA! Doing deck height checks mean the piston must cool before any measurements are taken.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Short answer they are new rods which came with the little end bearings already in the rods from Maxpeeding. 

Prior to reaming I thought I would fit and see if they were already reamed to size.  New 89mm pistons with new pins.

3 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Short answer they are new rods which came with the little end bearings already in the rods from Maxpeeding. 

Prior to reaming I thought I would fit and see if they were already reamed to size.  New pistons with new pins.

We have found the Maxpeeding rod small end is sized to suit oe pins and is dimensionally excellent BE to SE.