TR4 SUDDEN OIL LOSS

May be worth trying a different gauge (you could attach it where your rocker feed went) that tickover figure is just too high to believe.

If it were just the pressure relief valve setting, then at higher revs the gauge would be off the scale.

Bob.

I'll be struggling with that, Bob. The gauge hasn't just started giving high readings, it has always been on the high side. Perhaps the next step [after checking compression on Monday] will be to see if it happens again, given that the difference now is the removed top end extra lubrication.

Willie

On 5/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, Willie said:

Update....oil feed to rockers now removed. Engine from start up hit 60 psi at 850 rpm with choke. When temperature was in the 70 degree zone, 60 psi at tickover, rose to 70 psi at 2000 rpm! That's the target! See shot taken earlier. Do I need to adjust anything?

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the AF spanner size for the PRV adjuster locknut? Looks to be just under 1" AF.

Willie

P1140185 70psi at 2000 rpm norm.JPG

My 3a shows pressures similar to these on start up and running using Millers Golden Film 20/50. Can leave it running for ages on tickover untill the electric fan kicks in (so engine coolant up to temp), and still shows 70 on oil gauge. But take it for a good run to get the oil really hot and then it will drop to 30/40 at tick over. Point I am making is the oil may not be up to temp even if the coolant is.

Ralph