Warning! Dangerous product

I am not suggesting the Register do similar because I know it will never happen, but as an example of what other groups have done there is this

https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft_parts.htm

Actually if you go up a level there is lots of useful info, it's for an MG A but some of it is applicable to TRs

GeorgeĀ 

Edited by harlequin
58 minutes ago, harlequin said:

I am not suggesting the Register do similar because I know it will never happen, but as an example of what other groups have done there is this

https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft_parts.htm

Actually if you go up a level there is lots of useful info, it's for an MG A but some of it is applicable to TRs

GeorgeĀ 

Interesting to read through the failure lists as a lot of those parts are also common to TR`s including Roger H and others jamming brake cylinder complaints.

Stuart.

53 minutes ago, stuart said:

Interesting to read through the failure lists as a lot of those parts are also common to TR`s including Roger H and others jamming brake cylinder complaints.

Stuart.

Some of this rubbish has been on the market for years and years, I'm afraid it's a case of buyers beware because all the time dealers can unload this krap they will reorder from the same supplier.

A classic example would be steering rack gaiters that perish before the restoration is complete yet a similar part for a new VW will last 10 years and more. The dealers say we won't pay for usable parts but then Ā£10 ifor rubbish or Ā£12 for the VW part who's going to quibble, especially when you see the mark up on TR parts compaired to an identical item for a Triumph saloon.

GeorgeĀ 

• 2 months later...

Given the current quality issues I asked a mate who services/repairs fork trucks if he could refurb the old one and this is what I've just got back. Should do the job nicely.

IMG_1834.jpeg

When I replace the fuel pump and associated high pressure fuel pipes on the 6 I owned I used the local hydraulic pipe repairers who supplied the correct high pressure fuel pipe and fittings half the price better quality fittings and peace of mind it will do the job.

ChrisĀ Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Ā Ā Ā 

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Given the current quality issues I asked a mate who services/repairs fork trucks if he could refurb the old one and this is what I've just got back. Should do the job nicely.

IMG_1834.jpeg

Hi Andy,

I do not want to spoil your enthusiasm, nor is it intended as criticism, but is the hose suitable for E10? It does not say so.

Cheers,
Waldi

55 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Andy,

I do not want to spoil your enthusiasm, nor is it intended as criticism, but is the hose suitable for E10? It does not say so.

Cheers,
Waldi

The part that I do not like apart from no spec on the jacket is the 25 bars which is 362 psi. which could be a harmonic noise generator???

Bruce.

32 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

The part that I do not like apart from no spec on the jacket is the 25 bars which is 362 psi. which could be a harmonic noise generator???

Bruce.

Unlikely on that short a link.

Stuart.

Note this info is in relation toĀ my carburettor TR4A rather than fuel injection where higher pressures are used.

There appear to be 2 specs for Ethanol proof fuel hose. R9 and R6. See this link

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

When E5 was the norm I got the R6 grade which was readily available but from the link seems to have high permeability and lower working pressure than R9. It was the usual stuff sold at car spares shows as ethanol proof. However with the introduction of E10 in the UK I still see R6 as being sold for E10. While it is resistant, the R9 spec seems to be a better grade. I have gone for R9 spec and just got my R9 (low pressure)Ā hose from this company

https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/cohline-fuel-hose-low-pressure-5095-c.asp

They also sell high pressure hose to R9 spec. The R9 low pressure is thicker walled than the R6 I have from other suppliers so might present a problem clipping it onto the solid fuel connections. Have yet to do that.

To be honest I think that fuel hose specs are a bit of a minefield when it comes to E10. I have just got a length of hose for the connection between the fuel tank and filler cap from Holden described as ethanol resistant but they were unable to say whether it was R6 or R9. This company also sells R9 spec hose.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/fuel_filler_hose_lined_2_25_in_57mm_dia_x_200mm_long

Hope this is useful

Keith

3 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Andy,

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi WaldiĀ 

Iā€™ll check but there are lots of dieselĀ and a few petrol fork trucks out there so Iā€™m pretty sure it will be ok with E10 or even E15.Ā 
Andy

Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Hi WaldiĀ 

Iā€™ll check but there are lots of dieselĀ and a few petrol fork trucks out there so Iā€™m pretty sure it will be ok with E10 or even E15.Ā 
Andy

Ā 

Ā 

What are the N Americans doing? Ā  I have also seen E85 in France.

Ā 

5B3156A6-C62F-46CD-BC11-17466B53C157.png

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ā 

Unless you use US spec. hose, any hose made in Europe is unlikely to meet E85 requirements IMHO. My Gates hose says it is compliant for E85 and also meets spec.J30R14 T1.

Bruce.

6 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Unless you use US spec. hose, any hose made in Europe is unlikely to meet E85 requirements IMHO. My Gates hose says it is compliant for E85 and also meets spec.J30R14 T1.

Bruce.

Which is why I use Gates hoses, theyve had Ethanol based fuels in the States for many years and Gates also support the NASCAR and Drag racing world where their fuels are far more volatile than we are ever likely to see.

Stuart.

Back in july i asked if anyone knew of a supplier of the high pressure hose supplying the metering unit to todays requirements .

Haven't found one myselfĀ 

I think this is a very unsafe problem for us, 105 psi fuel spraying in the engine bay.

Roy

Ā 

10 minutes ago, roy53 said:

Back in july i asked if anyone knew of a supplier of the high pressure hose supplying the metering unit to todays requirements .

I think this is a very unsafe problem for us, 105 psi fuel spraying in the engine bay.

Roy

Hi Roy

If you read my post about 5Ā before yours then I gave one UK supplier of E10 safe fuel hose that supplies both low and high pressure fuel hoses. There are others in the UK if you search for them. They supply an R9 hose that is E85 compatible that has a burst pressure of 50bar and a working pressure of 10 bar. Here is the link again.

https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/cohline-fuel-hose-high-pressure-5096-c.asp

I have just got some of their R9 spec low pressure hose for my carb 4A car to replace the R6 or lower spec hoses. Only problem I can see might be the thicker walls making clamping them onto the rigid pipe connections more difficult.

If you look at the link to Holden they also do R9 spec hose.

Keith

On 10/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, harlequin said:

Some of this rubbish has been on the market for years and years, I'm afraid it's a case of buyers beware because all the time dealers can unload this krap they will reorder from the same supplier.

A classic example would be steering rack gaiters that perish before the restoration is complete yet a similar part for a new VW will last 10 years and more. The dealers say we won't pay for usable parts but then Ā£10 ifor rubbish or Ā£12 for the VW part who's going to quibble, especially when you see the mark up on TR parts compaired to an identical item for a Triumph saloon.

GeorgeĀ 

I would have to agree with you! I had this problem with a new Moss steering rack the boots did not last 18 months before they split and failed an MOT. I replaced them with ones made from PU and not Neoprene , that was 4 years ago and no problems since.

Bruce.

12 hours ago, roy53 said:

Roy

Hi Roy!

Spectrum Hose in High Wycombe can make up hoses to the length you require. I have used them for over thirty years. Their E5Ā and E10 hose is made in Germany or Denmark and meets the DIN standard for those fuels. I use Gates hose which is made in the USA. If you supply the hose they will swage the end fittings on for you as I have done,Ā Ā a number of times.

Bruce.

On 12/21/2021 at 10:28 AM, Waldi said:

Hi Andy,

Cheers,
Waldi

Ā 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, PodOne said:

IMG_1834.jpeg

Hi Waldi

Can confirm its E10 compliant cost me aĀ pint so happy days!

Andy

On 5/29/2021 at 8:45 AM, BlairP said:

Below are pics of my hose, which is like the faulty one in appearance, but which is stamp-labeled "Aeroquip FC596-06 AQP exceeds SAE 100R6." Some Internet research shows it withstands pressure of up to 350-400 PSI, so I've attached some stout Jubilee clips to the ends which I think should do the trick. That said, I too have the possibility of installing clamps like KiwiTR6 did above.

Is one better than the other?

Blair

hose1.jpg

hose2.jpg

I wouldn't trust in an oil pressure plastic pipe bend as this one.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:57 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ā 

There are numerous manufactures who supply E85 compatible hoses. Gates Barricade is one, Aeroquip StreetLite is another. If you want to go the PTFE, there are numerous vendors for that also...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

15 hours ago, Chris59 said:

I wouldn't trust in an oil pressure plastic pipe bend as this one.

The end fittings for your petrol hose, should be swaged on as is normal practice with sleeves and not use jubilee clips in high pressure applications as shown in your picture?

Bruce.

Hi Roy,

sadly the PQI can only chase things along.Ā Ā 

We have chased up to and beyond the supplier but the manufacturers have not pulled their finger out.

In the new year we will be onto Rimmers to see if they can put the pressure on theĀ Ā supplier.

Ā 

Roger

On 12/21/2021 at 9:01 PM, roy53 said:

Roy

Go to your local Parker Store, Roy

They have everything you need