Warning! Dangerous product

I'm surprised it didn't cause a fire...mine did after an engine rebuild! My mechanic just used a a push on rubber hose onto the original m/u outlet, and I wasn't carrying an extinguisher back in the day (I do now) I added a clip and it's been fine for many years.

DSCN0089.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, SpitFireSIX said:

The red & black hose is very low pressure?

It's the return to the tank hose isn't it?

On 7/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, roy53 said:

Is the correct spec pipe now available from any traders out there ?  or are we still waiting.

Roy

+1 please. I also need a new main flexible fuel hose to the MU, mine is 20 years old and needs to be replaced.

Where can I get one that's E5/10 resistant and safe please?

Colin.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, roy53 said:

Is the correct spec pipe now available from any traders out there ?  or are we still waiting.

Roy

Hi Roy,

none of the usual suppliers  state the rubber spec (E5 / E10  or the R number etc)

However Esso state the following

“Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England).20 Nov 2020

Shell and Texaco state that their top brand has a maximum of 5% (it may have none)

As many TR6 owners tend to fill with the top brand and we are not plagued with pipe failure (caused by E5 etc) then I would have thought the risk was low.

But!!

You can only do your best. Check the pipe frequently for cracking/perishing/leaks etc

Roger

16 hours ago, John L said:

Did we ever get any feedback from Rimmers and their supplier on this issue?

John

PS  may have missed it perhaps?

No feedback as yet, Rimmers are still working under Covid guidelines, I dont know about the manufacturers protocols, but I will chase up............
Ian

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roy,

none of the usual suppliers  state the rubber spec (E5 / E10  or the R number etc)

However Esso state the following

“Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England).20 Nov 2020

Shell and Texaco state that their top brand has a maximum of 5% (it may have none)

As many TR6 owners tend to fill with the top brand and we are not plagued with pipe failure (caused by E5 etc) then I would have thought the risk was low.

But!!

You can only do your best. Check the pipe frequently for cracking/perishing/leaks etc

Roger

Hi Roger, interesting about the petrol but doesn't help me as I am in Devon.

My MU pipe as developed a leak (but it is 22 years old), so need a new one now. Didn`t want the replacement rubber from Rimmers and I have ordered one from Carl Fitchett TR Trader. its 12.5 inches long, Teflon inner E5/E10 proof, flexible stainless steel braded, same fittings and crimped connections. He says its suitable for 3000psi. I`ll let you know how it performs.   

Colin.

6 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

My MU pipe as developed a leak (but it is 22 years old), so need a new one now. Didn`t want the replacement rubber from Rimmers and I have ordered one from Carl Fitchett TR Trader. its 12.5 inches long, Teflon inner E5/E10 proof, flexible stainless steel braded, same fittings and crimped connections. He says its suitable for 3000psi. I`ll let you know how it performs.   

Colin.

That is good. A source of a quality pipe (possibly)

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Initial feedback to Rimmers regarding Inge's initial posting, Rimmers are awaiting a final written version. You might like to check any secondary fixings you may have used to check any interference with the barbs as outlined below.
Ian

Further to our telephone call and having read the various comments on the forum I would like to clarify some points:

The hose in question is manufactured using Aeroquip (Eaton) FBN0600 hose which as an assembly has a working pressure of 250psi and is rated as having a burst pressure of 1000psi. This is as an assembly when using the correct “socketless” fittings that are designed for it.

It’s is a clever design that allows the customer to assemble the hoses without the use of a swaging machine or the use of clips. The barbs on the fitting are designed to dig in to the hose as the pressure increases, and the weave of the hose is designed to pull down on to the barbs as the pressure increases.

Although Aeroquip rate this hose as complying with SAE 100 R6 they also state it for use with oil up to 150oC and rate the hose as “Good” with regards to compatibility with E15 fuel making it an extremely versatile and widely used hose in the automotive industry.

For E85, if the fuel is left sitting in the hose, it will dry out the tube. It would have to be drained and flushed between uses.

For peace of mind, for those who simply do not trust the lack of a visible fastening, the hose can be used with a narrow band clamp positioned between the barbs, if a clip is positioned directly over the barb it is likely to cut through the hose and cause a failure.

We have just pressure tested one of the TT214890 hoses and we reached @ 1600psi before it failed, well in excess of what we expect the hose to withstand in most automotive applications.

The working pressures are a bit of a red herring, this thread has gone on forever but I can't recall anyone complaining of a burst hose.For me, chemical compatibility with modern petrol is more important, back in the days when I used to select materials from Perry's a "Good" rating would not be enough for a fuel line.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, c.hydes said:

Colin.

He is still selling the noise generator then??? I had a discussion with Malcom about this 10 years ago! He was not a happy camper after I finished. I put off a couple of his potential customers!

Bruce.

13 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Yes! They can come off too, and cause engine fires, as mine did.

They can come off but as it is open to the tank there is almost no pressure in the line. Why it came off is a mystery.

One of my 3/16” return hoses from MU to tank started leaking unexpectedly, I reported on here before. The rubber had become very soft/weak one year after completion of my body-off resto. Despite asking the supplier (James Paddock) several times, unfortunately they never came back to me with their findings.

Waldi

8 hours ago, Waldi said:

One of my 3/16” return hoses from MU to tank started leaking unexpectedly, I reported on here before. The rubber had become very soft/weak one year after completion of my body-off resto. Despite asking the supplier (James Paddock) several times, unfortunately they never came back to me with their findings.

Waldi

Except for Triumph/Stanpart , knowledge and understanding of materials has never been a Triumph component suppliers strongpoint.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, Mike C said:

The working pressures are a bit of a red herring, this thread has gone on forever but I can't recall anyone complaining of a burst hose.For me, chemical compatibility with modern petrol is more important, back in the days when I used to select materials from Perry's a "Good" rating would not be enough for a fuel line.

I have to agree with the above! The J30 spec. R6 part does not meet the requirements of an ethanol resistant hose in a high pressure situation of above 50 psi. Therefore should not be used for any E5 or E10 applications. Page 6 of the spec refers para 4.4. I quote the spec. This hose is for a maximum working pressure of 50psi up to. Does Aeroquip know what they are talking about? Ethanol has the ability to strip residues from the fuel tank and block filters including the inside of non resistant hoses and an increase in permeation!

Bruce.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, cvtrian said:

Initial feedback to Rimmers regarding Inge's initial posting, Rimmers are awaiting a final written version. You might like to check any secondary fixings you may have used to check any interference with the barbs as outlined below.
Ian

Further to our telephone call and having read the various comments on the forum I would like to clarify some points:

The hose in question is manufactured using Aeroquip (Eaton) FBN0600 hose which as an assembly has a working pressure of 250psi and is rated as having a burst pressure of 1000psi. This is as an assembly when using the correct “socketless” fittings that are designed for it.

It’s is a clever design that allows the customer to assemble the hoses without the use of a swaging machine or the use of clips. The barbs on the fitting are designed to dig in to the hose as the pressure increases, and the weave of the hose is designed to pull down on to the barbs as the pressure increases.

Although Aeroquip rate this hose as complying with SAE 100 R6 they also state it for use with oil up to 150oC and rate the hose as “Good” with regards to compatibility with E15 fuel making it an extremely versatile and widely used hose in the automotive industry.

For E85, if the fuel is left sitting in the hose, it will dry out the tube. It would have to be drained and flushed between uses.

For peace of mind, for those who simply do not trust the lack of a visible fastening, the hose can be used with a narrow band clamp positioned between the barbs, if a clip is positioned directly over the barb it is likely to cut through the hose and cause a failure.

We have just pressure tested one of the TT214890 hoses and we reached @ 1600psi before it failed, well in excess of what we expect the hose to withstand in most automotive applications.

But had it been chemically tested first as per SAE J30 spec?

21 hours ago, Mike C said:

Except for Triumph/Stanpart , knowledge and understanding of materials has never been a Triumph component suppliers strongpoint.

As someone responsible for the Research and Development of re-manufacturing product for Cox and Buckles, latterly Moss Europe,  I used to send samples of what would be described as safety critical rubber items to RAPRA (https://www.lpdlabservices.co.uk/about_us/rapra.php) for analysis, stating where the item was to be used, what it would be in contact with, and its operating environment.  They would reply with a written report comparing the item to the information I had given, and would state what rubber the items was made from and what would advise on a suitable rubber for remaking the item from.

That is how we found out a certain original factory vehicle spares department supplied a rubber washer for a 6 cylinder engine cover, that regularly failed and leaked oil down the outside of the engine, was made from an unsuitable material.  It reacted and disintegrated when in contact with mineral oils.    We had the items copied and remade in a material suitable for contact with hot mineral oils, and basically cleaned up. -  the engine oil leaks.

Peter W

• 1 month later...

"Judging by the level of interest in this topic and being specifically related to members' safety, I trust the Parts Quality Initiative (PQI) team is taking a very active interest.

I look forward to their repoart in due course".

This is a submission I made to the Forum way back in May concerning the flexible fuel pipe on a TR6, feeding into the MU.

I have seen no reply from the supplier or the PQI team; could someone update me please or let me know by what date I should expect to see the outcome?

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John,

the PI team have still got this in mind. The last we heard was that the manufacturer was going to do an investigation into what happened.

We appreciate it has taken some time and we do not know when the end will be in sight.  The PI team has to go through the supplier to find out what is going on.

It is out of our hands how long they take but be assured we will be asking them on regular occasions what is happening.

The moment we hear anything it will be reported here.

Roger