Wishbone attachment to trunnion - Late TR4

I originally posted this on another forum but not getting replies.  Hopefully the other side of the pond has this experience and might offer advice.

I have managed to attach the lower wishbone arms with poly bushings to the frame arms and to a brand new trunnion on one side of my donor frame.  The spring, shock and the pan are not yet on. I do have the upper arms and the ball joint attached to the vertical.

Everything moves up and down and seems correct. It is solid and a little tight to move but moves and is not binding, etc.

My question is about the installation of the Locking Washers (one each side of trunnion) which have to be forced onto the serrated area of the trunnion and the amount of torque needed to do that.

To push the washer into the serration and cut the groves in the washer it takes a hefty amount of torque to tighten up the nut and seat the washer. However, the shop manual speaks of 5 ft lbs of torque as the spec for the castle nut. No way to get that lock washer on there with 5 ft lbs torque. Shop manual procedure must assume you are reusing already cut-in washers or something?

Here is what I did - I tightened up the nut pushing on that lock washer until I could see I could fit the cotter pin into the hole in the trunnion end and then I tightened it up a couple or three nut flats past that, which more or less bottomed it out. I then backed off the nut two or three flats to put the cotter pin in, leaving what is the specified 4-12 thousands end play between washer and nut. I will say that the lock nut is now on really really tight. Under use with the full load of the car on the suspension I assume the whole assembly will loosen a bit to use that needed endplay. Right now that pressed on washer is not moving.

I don't see how else this could work. If anyone can confirm or set me right with what I am missing before I put the spring and other components on I would appreciate it..

Slack the nuts 2/3 flats to give the stated clearance and then split pin.

Whack the wishbones outwards with a hide mallet to push the now splined lock washers away from the wishbone.

The whole lot will now articulate ok.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That is exactly what I was wanting to confirm.  The mechanism seems to articulate well now but I did want to make sure the lock washer would release to take advantage of that end play.  I will whack the wishbones a bit to force the wishbones outward.

Russell

4 hours ago, RMP NC said:

That is exactly what I was wanting to confirm.  The mechanism seems to articulate well now but I did want to make sure the lock washer would release to take advantage of that end play.  I will whack the wishbones a bit to force the wishbones outward.

Russell

Resist the sideways reaction/movement of the nut on the trunion with a big block of hardwood or copper mallet as you whack the lower wishbone towards it.  Bit like tapping out a dent in the body panel.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT