Hi all

i have asked this before but does anyone know of a good place to take my car to for tuning as i am nearly at the tuning stage after a light restoration,my problem is I can’t find a good recommend tuner for my fuel injected car.Its all pretty much standard but most contacts I have made seem almost reluctant to take the job on (maybe to old or just not the sort of car they are used to),to be fair although they dont refuse I am left wondering if it may become a learning experience for them just as it would for me,and I would much prefer an experienced eye rather than a learning as you go eye.As I live in the Bristol area anyone within a 20 mile or so radius (trailer job) would be great.

regards nige

Hi Nige, 

If it is pretty standard, it is easy to do yourself with a few simple tools and not a lot of money. If you don't have the tools or experience then there will be a member locally who does, if you were a bit nearer I would help you. Ask your local group. Have you have the metering unit refurbished? If so, then that will have been set up on a test rig so best not mess with it. If not, then leave well alone, until you have checked everything else. The key to the PI running well is to ensure that there are no air leaks in the inlet manifold and pipework, including the brake servo. Set the static ignition timing to 10deg BTDC and check that at 4000rpm you get about 30deg BTDC. Check that each injector is producing a fine, even cone of fuel. Then balance the throttle bodies by disconnecting the enrichment lever and pull out the choke and if necessary screw in the fast idle screw and close the air bleed to get about 2000-3000rpm. Use a carb balancer to measure the airflow on each inlet and adjust the linkages to get this even, a bit fiddly but worth the effort to get a smooth pick-up from idle in traffic. Whist this is set up, use a colour tune to check that the mixture is even and about right at bunson blue on all cylinders and bright yellow when you blip the throttle. If you get all that the MU is doing OK, so far. Take it for a good run at 60-70mph on a motorway and you should get 25-30mpg, if all is well. Take it for a good blast and enjoy it.

If none of the above works out then, there maybe other issues to find and resolve. You may have to resort to a rolling road and somebody, like Neil, who knows the PI system inside out and has more tools like fuel pressure gauges and a PI test rig but it will set you back a wad of cash. This is why most engine tuners stay well away from the PI system. 

Mick

Ok firstly thanks for taking the time to reply guys,so I think I will have a go doing this with a mate of mine who knows infinitely more than me but his knowledge is all american mostly (carbs).One question I have is on checking the throttle bodies for vacuum I can’t seem to find a bung big enough to seal around the opening (bet I am making myself look really daft here) I have a vacuum tester that seems to fit every thing else!! I will also invest in a colour tune kit and yes the metering unit was sent for refurbishment prior to purchase any advice on the vacuum bung thing or where I can purchase one would be welcome 

thanks in anticipation nige

46 minutes ago, nigelcurry said:

Ok firstly thanks for taking the time to reply guys,so I think I will have a go doing this with a mate of mine who knows infinitely more than me but his knowledge is all american mostly (carbs).One question I have is on checking the throttle bodies for vacuum I can’t seem to find a bung big enough to seal around the opening (bet I am making myself look really daft here) I have a vacuum tester that seems to fit every thing else!! I will also invest in a colour tune kit and yes the metering unit was sent for refurbishment prior to purchase any advice on the vacuum bung thing or where I can purchase one would be welcome 

thanks in anticipation nige

You need one of these Syncometer

Stuart.

Hi,

I would not waste money on a colour-tune. A lambda & gauge is more money but the only gauge that works at idle (Colour-tune) & every other RPM and Load. Requires suitable fitting in the exhaust.

Balanced airflow is #1.

Cheers,

Iain.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, stuart said:

You need one of these Syncometer

Stuart.

I agree, Stuart js right as always !

with a new set of linkages, new bushes and a Syncrometer i was able to greatly improve my 6’s idle/pickup

steve