Starter motor replacement

I didn't with my TR2 and it is going fine 10 years later. 

Malcolm, When I changed mine I bought what is best described as a heat shield bag which fits over the starter protecting it not only from heat but road muck/moisture as well. Should you ever need to drain the block for cleaning sludge etc, it will also protect from this as the drain tap/hole is very adjacent to the starter.

Paul

You shouldn’t need one. 

Edited by Hamish

There are 2 types these are from an MG but the starter is the same,  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/mgb-c-v8/electrical/starting-system/heat-shield-starter-motor-cover-gac181.html

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/cover-starter-motor-waterproof-bhh790.html?assoc=109229  I have one of these on my MGBGT, probably available from other sources or second hand.

John

No heat shield or extra protection fitted when I installed my high torque starter (9 years ago) and have had no issues.

Alan

I wouldn't have thought a heat shield necessary the only possible problem you may have would be if your power cables run close to the manifold/down pipe in which case either zipper clip away or rap with some heat deflecting material 

Chris

I have a tuned TR6 with tubular exhaust that gets HOT when stopped after a run.

I also have a reconditioned original starter motor, without any heat shield, and have had no problems with in in 8+ years and 24k miles.

the car needs a bit of cranking for a hot start, just a few seconds, and if left for weeks after an ‘enthusiastic’ drive will require a lot of cranking tostart from cold, both of which i put down to fuel evaporation.

so i don’t think a heat shield is necessary, at least with the original starter, but can’t see it doing any harm if you want to try

steve