10 hours ago, Hamish said:

Is this any use

just seen on ebay

Triumph TR2- 3-3a-4 Tow bar with ball

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224464134432

Bit strange that one. I can see holes at the back which would probably coincide with the spring hanger cross tube, but there does not seem to be anything at the towball end .

Ralph.

6 hours ago, David Owen said:

I would thing towing a TR3 is more likely than towing with a TR3.  Well one I put back together anyway.

But seriously, why?

David, I just think it would be nice to go away on holiday and be able to use the TR when I get there. Or places like the Silverstone classic where I could take the car and Mini caravan, ( I am past camping in a tent thank you). Alternatives would be staying in an Hotel, or taking the campervan with a car trailer and the TR on the back.

A few years ago my daughter and I toured Scotland in a 1968 Austin A35 van taking turns between sleeping in a tent and in the back of the van and had a great time. I would like to go up there again and set up a base camp somewhere in the highlands and drive the TR over some of those superb roads.

Ralph.

John O`Groats.JPG

8 hours ago, David Owen said:

I would thing towing a TR3 is more likely than towing with a TR3.  Well one I put back together anyway.

But seriously, why?

Something to do with your abandoned projects.

Shew them off at car club meets.

Peter W

726B8577-9D0B-4C6D-823C-0FAB1158DE70.jpeg

65F5AD18-E3A6-4DC0-BA57-F81CCCAEEC59.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Lebro said:

64681125_IWE2019.thumb.jpg.81a338a298400a9b9fb52b8650abdc19.jpg  They do have their uses - transporting BBQ & gasebo to TR meetings

Bob.

And it appears you have a good roof rack capacity too !

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

David, I just think it would be nice to go away on holiday and be able to use the TR when I get there. Or places like the Silverstone classic where I could take the car and Mini caravan, ( I am past camping in a tent thank you). Alternatives would be staying in an Hotel, or taking the campervan with a car trailer and the TR on the back.

A few years ago my daughter and I toured Scotland in a 1968 Austin A35 van taking turns between sleeping in a tent and in the back of the van and had a great time. I would like to go up there again and set up a base camp somewhere in the highlands and drive the TR over some of those superb roads.

Ralph.

John O`Groats.JPG

Fair enough.  The distances and remoteness here in Canada impact flexibility.  I'd love to take 6 weeks to drive to Victoria, BC in the TR.  If you stay in Canada it is just under 3,000 miles from our house.  That would be an amazing trip.

1 hour ago, David Owen said:

What is the towing capacity?

Watling towbars literature say 2000lbs, which I worked out to be 907 kg for their bar.

Triumph say 20cwt  (1016 kg) for the TR4 which although no data from Triumph available should be broadly the same for the TR3 .

Interesting article in the latest TR Action on towing, and period photo on page 23 of a TR3 and caravan.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
spelling mistake
1 hour ago, David Owen said:

Fair enough.  The distances and remoteness here in Canada impact flexibility.  I'd love to take 6 weeks to drive to Victoria, BC in the TR.  If you stay in Canada it is just under 3,000 miles from our house.  That would be an amazing trip.

We would have to drive from one end of the UK to the other and back again, twice, to cover that distance. I did manage to cram in 1200 miles in a week in the A35 van when on our scottish trip.

36 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

We would have to drive from one end of the UK to the other and back again, twice, to cover that distance. I did manage to cram in 1200 miles in a week in the A35 van when on our scottish trip.

It would be a lot more interesting covering that distance in the UK.  I'll check out that article.  Thanks.

The first time our International was at Harrogate, Pink, Guy (Jersey Royal) and myself did a run up to Scotland via Arran and right up to Inverness and then back via Blackpool, I then carried on over to Lincolnshire and down to Essex and then home and covered 2000 mls in a fortnight and my 4a averaged 32mpg

Stuart

DSC00994.JPG

Edited by stuart
13 hours ago, Hamish said:

And it appears you have a good roof rack capacity too !

:D well I got it Hamish! (I think 6 is excessive, one should have enough capacity for a TR Meeting!)

8 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

:D well I got it Hamish! (I think 6 is excessive, one should have enough capacity for a TR Meeting!)

So did I, but did not want to encourage him :D

Bob.

9 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

40 minutes ago, Lebro said:

So did I, but did not want to encourage him :D

Bob.

I am not surprised - gentlemen of your intelligence and acumen.

But Bob was probably right ! :D

6 hours ago, MilesA said:

And another from IWE Malvern 2015.

IMG_1445.thumb.jpg.51e889568b8be5ef228a61de33263b49.jpg

Miles

I am intrigued by the fold down windscreen , both how it works and what it is for.

Ralph

16 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I am intrigued by the fold down windscreen , both how it works and what it is for.

Ralph

My guess.   Stores the car’s windscreen when aeroscreens are fitted.

I wonder if the entire trailer is under 500 kg, which I think is the max weight an unbraked  trailer can be.

Peter W

24 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My guess.   Stores the car’s windscreen when aeroscreens are fitted.

I wonder if the entire trailer is under 500 kg, which I think is the max weight an unbraked  trailer can be.

Peter W

The cable looks like it could have a brake connection although I can't see any calipers.

Edited by David Owen