Home made steering wheel.

The old wheel had a broken/cracked plastic rim, so cut it off and had a tube made into a 14.5" circle drilled it for the spokes to fit, welded them up and sent to the trimmer, ( Paul Darby steering wheels ) he did a grand job and it almost looks factory. hopefully the comfort of a larger dia leather wheel will be worthwhile, whilst retaining the old centre section and spokes.

P1080465.jpg

P1080466.jpg

P1080467.jpg

Edited by pfenlon
spelling error

Nice work Pete, good looking wheel.

Mick Richards

That stitching looks brilliant, I guess it all has to be done by hand.

How the hell does he get the tension of the leather perfect like that?

Only problem I see is that it looks too good to be used on a car.

Charlie.

Amazing Pete great idea,   whatever next to come out of your Northern Workshop  ?

Cheers, Conrad. 

That looks great Pete....but of course it would if you made it.

Full credit to you

9 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi Pete,

a lovely quality work,

can you please tell us more about the tube and how you bended it that perfectly round?

Ciao, Marco

Marco,  there is a company nearby that bend steel to any shape you need. Tubing, angle iron railway lines, the list is endless. I opted for their narrowest tube 26mm diameter.

I watched the guy cut the tube to length knowing I wanted a 14.5" wheel, then put it into a rolling/ bending machine and after about 6 times feeding it into the machine it

becomes a perfect circle, takes some skill, but he made it look simple. The job cost £20.

7 minutes ago, stillp said:

That looks great Pete. The tube bending was pretty cheap - how much was the trimming?

Pete

Trimming was £130, so not cheap, and P@P to consider at £9 each way. Other trimming quotes were just astronomical.

But you can't go and buy one like this from Moss.