Rear trailing arm split bushes

Hi all,

I am getting ready to swop the right hand rear trailing arm for a spare one that I have bought. This is because the post that carries the upper bump stop has fractured. I bought the standard rubber bushes to fit to the new arm but then looked at the car and a different type of bush is fitted that has a flange. The car was restored 2000/01. Looking though the history file I have found an invoice for “Uprated T/A bushes (split type). Do any of you have an idea what these bushes might be? They are black in colour. I have searched for them without success as I doubt that I can remove them from the current arm. All I can find is the standard rubber bushes or the blue polyurethane bushes. Should I perhaps fit the blue poly bushes?

Thanks

Hi Denis,

could your split bushes be the more solid Delryn/BlackNylon variety.

Being more solid and having a flange they would need to be spilt in order to get them inserted.

Unles you really want a more solid feel (not many do)  then I would go for the Blue Poly Bushes - these work very well.

Roger

Triumph Tune in UK used to sell solid flanged split type bushes made from nylatron for the IRS trailing arm mounts. 

TRF still offer these bush kits.

https://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials11.26/48.php?s_wt=1440&s_ht=900

image.thumb.png.c29b5df96856fc8313c1875e44ce6b9b.png

Thank you both for your very helpful suggestions. Once I remove the arm I'll be able to tell if the current split bushes can be removed and reused. If not I'll install some of the blue polyurethane buses. I see that I can buy them individually from Rimmer Bros, so I'll use those and update the lefthand arm at a later date. Do I need to lubricate the poly bushes as I draw them into the arm? If so what is best to use? Also, should I tighten them up only once the car is back on its wheels?

Thanks

If there is no grease with the bush then consider petroleum jelly.

Be careful when you take the car out for its first drive after sorting the bushes on one side only as it may affect handling.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I shall change the bushes on the lefthand side as soon as I can. I did ask whether the bush through bolts should be tightened once the car is on its wheels again. What is the correct process please?

Hi Denis,

there should be a steel bush inside the poly bush. So the bolt can be tightened - I do not know if there is a torque figure for these. But nipped up well will do.

The Poly bush is lubricated so if it is tightened when raised I think it will settle into the correct position once on the ground.

I do not know if the steel bush s stainless. Give it a coat of grease, on the ID and OD,  when fitting.

Roger