So my dash indicator for the turn signal is operating erratically - flickering sometimes, not flashing at all, or occasionally blinking properly.   The ammeter is showing a nice rhythmic discharge but the indicator bulb is dancing to its own drummer. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dan

Is this an electronic flasher unit ? Is the fault the same irrespective of which side is indicating?

If yes to both, suspect the flasher unit if you have eliminated bad connections. 

Sorry I should have clarified that it is the stock flasher for my TR2.  The regular bounce of the ammeter made me think it is not the flasher.  So I guess a dodgy connection is what I need to identify.

Dan

Hmm.  The stock bimetallic flasher works due to the heating effect of the bulb current.  If the bulb contact is poor the heating effect is also poor and the flashing will be irregular as a consequence.  It would be very strange for the switching to be regular but for the bulbs not to light.  Also, the ammeter can only respond to current drawn.  If the bulbs don't light there is no current , so what is the ammeter responding to? 

Probably dirty contacts (for the dash bulb only) inside the flasher unit.

Ditch it & buy a modern electronic one. :ph34r:

Bob.

P.S. Better still switch to LED bulbs, & LED compatible flasher unit.

I would check that the dash bulb is not loose in its holder first or that the bulb is not on its way out.

Ralph

If you are checking without the engine running (your mention of seeing the ammeter flicker suggests that this might be the case), then battery volts will be somewhat lower than with the engine running, and will be reduced further as the lamps are lit.  In such a case, the bimetallic strip inside the flasher unit won't get as hot as in a running car, and the repeater (dash) flash may be erratic and the flash rate may be somewhat lower than usual.

Ian Cornish