The shims are specific to that particular build on the steering box, they should need to be changed unless any of the internal parts are changed.

(2 X ball races, & the worm).

Bob.

55 minutes ago, Lebro said:

The shims are specific to that particular build on the steering box, they should need to be changed unless any of the internal parts are changed.

(2 X ball races, & the worm).

Bob.

Thank you. 

19 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thanks Peter.  That is very helpful.

The box is now drained of the last of the oil. 

Is this the bolt I remove to initially fill the box with grease.  I found the filler on the column to top it off, minus the cap.

2044101120_ScreenShot2021-05-16at8_39_57AM.png.d0742358473ed6bd86d6ecaddbc61035.png

On 5/7/2021 at 10:42 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I saw this method done on a Daimler Dart and thought it to be a nice mod

Drill and tap the screwed filler plug fitted in the steering box top cover to accept a bleed nipple.

Fill your pressure grease gun with steering box lube

Remove original filler plug from outer column

Attach oil filled pressure grease gun to nipple and pump till oil shews at the filler plug hole in the column outer tube below the front carb. 
Refit filler plug to column 

You can use steering box lube in front suspension trunnions so the ‘grease’ gun is dedicated for steering box oil use.

Peter W

Well after a day of heating and injecting grease into the steering box and shaft I would highly recommend this modification.  :lol:

16 hours ago, David Owen said:

Well after a day of heating and injecting grease into the steering box and shaft I would highly recommend this modification.  :lol:

Here is one I made this afternoon

The original lid oil filler plug is 1/4 BSP x19 tpi. 
The grease nipple I used is 1/8 bsp x 28 tpi 

135FA4F2-9C76-402A-93FA-8F40E751C8FC.jpeg

D5E1D8C6-CA32-458E-BE59-9D13F96BF459.jpeg

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Here is one I made this afternoon

The original lid oil filler plug is 1/4 BSP x19 tpi. 
The grease nipple I used is 1/8 bsp x 28 tpi 

135FA4F2-9C76-402A-93FA-8F40E751C8FC.jpeg

D5E1D8C6-CA32-458E-BE59-9D13F96BF459.jpeg

I will try and make one........when I have a back up filler plug.  I haven't tapped anything before.  Other than the occasional keg. 

7 hours ago, David Owen said:

I will try and make one........when I have a back up filler plug.  I haven't tapped anything before.  Other than the occasional keg. 

You normally put oil/slumping grease in via the hole on the steering column. Easy as. No need to use the plug on the steering box which is a pain to get at when in the car.

2 hours ago, John McCormack said:

You normally put oil/slumping grease in via the hole on the steering column. Easy as. No need to use the plug on the steering box which is a pain to get at when in the car.

How do you know when the box is full ?

or just carry on until it shows up the tube ?

(I am using EP90)

9 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Yes it is easy I just like the idea of pumping it into the box and having confirmation it's full because it appears in the steering column filler hole.  The apron was off when I was doing this.

20 hours ago, David Owen said:

Yes it is easy I just like the idea of pumping it into the box and having confirmation it's full because it appears in the steering column filler hole.  The apron was off when I was doing this.

As Bob (Lebro) says, keep adding until you see it at the hole. Slumping grease doesn't leak very much at all, once it is done it doesn't need any more for many years.

32 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

As Bob (Lebro) says, keep adding until you see it at the hole. Slumping grease doesn't leak very much at all, once it is done it doesn't need any more for many years.

Yes.  That's the way I did it.