Clicking noise from rear when changing gear and taking up drive

4 hours ago, Martin50 said:

Just to follow up and update on investigations. The noise is from both rear drive shafts. There is no grease nipple so no way to pack, but there is some free play which is causing the noise “clicking” when taking up drive or when taking off throttle. I had to take to local garage to get this looked at, it was not something I could determine for myself. Fortunately they are confirming the diff mounts are good and not the source of the noise.

I’m planning to replace both rear drives. Suspect these are from original car so not bad for 50 years old. Hopefully get the fix done by early Nov. May not be many or any days to run car till next spring, but want to get it on the road asap.

Extremely difficult to describe a noise - one persons clonk is another’s click. Really appreciate everyone’s input and comments on this. Very helpful when chatting with garage. Thank you.

Regards Martin

Most probably UJs. Any garage should be able to replace all 4 in a morning. Peter