Thoughts on redesigning the front appearance of my applegreen TR2

This is perhaps the look you are thinking about. A/R bar, skid plate, recessed spotlights and no bumper.

A great deal of work was carried out by the PO so it's by no means original.

The skid plate is from Moss and provides the location for the A/R bar. and has strenthening webs. The Racestorations one is alluminium so you would need the mounting brackets as well. The only difference in the Revington ones is that one has rose jointed links to the bottom bracket

Great looking driving lights

BTW, where did the digital clock between the speedo and tacho come from?

Phil

Forum photo.jpg

OGB 2.jpg

.. I thought this looked really neat with its low hard-top

256366s.jpg.ed6deddbf10c6b130e5cc8871dd8e609.jpg

Bumpers off, spot lamps recessed, guard but no anti-roll bar. 

Reckon your pressed steel wheels would look better, but their hub caps would fling off in rallying so they've got to go.  And then all you need to do is to drive through muddy puddles wearing a leather scull cap and goggles for the full effect  ;)

Pete

Hi Tr2_applegreen  I think it's a good  idea to change the look of your car, you have done a great job in adding rally equipment inside the car,  I see no reason to turn the outside to suit. Like some period photos get rid of the front bumpers, add a couple of spotlights and make up a bracket to hold the number plate, even adding a horn on each side will give it "the look" you may be after. The vinyl stickers are easy to put on and take off.

I've been there and done that! You can easily put it back.

cheers Shane 

IMG_0563.JPG

Setron: don't your horns get drowned in wet weather?

But perhaps your car never sees wet weather because driving behind that aero-screen in such conditions would be very hard work.

Ian Cornish

8 hours ago, setron said:

Hi Tr2_applegreen  I think it's a good  idea to change the look of your car, you have done a great job in adding rally equipment inside the car,  I see no reason to turn the outside to suit. Like some period photos get rid of the front bumpers, add a couple of spotlights and make up a bracket to hold the number plate, even adding a horn on each side will give it "the look" you may be after. The vinyl stickers are easy to put on and take off.

I've been there and done that! You can easily put it back.

cheers Shane 

IMG_0563.JPG

Hi Shane, that looks the business!....... Purposeful, you’ve nailed it..

Just out of interest, what is the Spit derivative parked alongside 

On 5/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, Hamish said:

You can go number roundals 

Motorsport UK our motorsport governing body frown on using comp numbers on the road.  We need to cross them out. 

Hi Hamish,

I wasn't aware of that. Would that be race day etiquette, or a legal requirement?

(Asking for a "friend" who recently bought a pair :ph34r:)

TRDartB.thumb.jpg.346ac8e143666a068e056d3e06d0f854.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

On 5/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, Bfg said:

.. I thought this looked really neat with its low hard-top

256366s.jpg.ed6deddbf10c6b130e5cc8871dd8e609.jpg

Bumpers off, spot lamps recessed, guard but no anti-roll bar. 

Reckon your pressed steel wheels would look better, but their hub caps would fling off in rallying so they've got to go.  And then all you need to do is to drive through muddy puddles wearing a leather scull cap and goggles for the full effect  ;)

Pete

Thats a mean looking motor, definately appeals.

Paul

15 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Hi Hamish,

I wasn't aware of that. Would that be race day etiquette, or a legal requirement?

(Asking for a "friend" who recently bought a pair :ph34r:)

TRDartB.thumb.jpg.346ac8e143666a068e056d3e06d0f854.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

It’s the MSA  or MSUK as they are now, 

4.1.7. Any means of identifying individual cars during a competition MUST be removed at the finish of the event. 4.1.8. Race organisers may use three figured numbers subject

I think it’s the msuk who would sanction you if you have one of their licences. 

Years ago if you had numbers stuck on when on the road it was deemed to negate your insurance.

Stuart.

A mate of my dads often used to test his ERA R7B in the early 1960’s a Sunday morning test run. 
complaints from an elderly lady prompted the local Bobby to visit. She reported that old loud car. When asked of the (reg) number she said number 9. That was enough for the local police man to know where to go “to have a quiet word” 

Thin bit of tape shouldn’t detract from the look Deggers

its what I do until I know my number for the next event. 
just in case one or more of the numbers are the same. 
cheap skate I know. 

11 hours ago, Hamish said:

its what I do until I know my number for the next event. 
just in case one or more of the numbers are the same. 
cheap skate I know. 

("Strategic economic foresight") :)

Thanks for the MSUK info Hamish, appreciated.

Cheers, Deggers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Your TR2 is beautiful and I follow it on Instagram.
When I bought mine a few months ago, just arrivant from California, it looked like this :

989D5644-A490-4CDB-9DC0-FA26DD4A7861.thumb.jpeg.d529c24a552040ef9bef40b6547b9da1.jpeg

I wanted to drive it in the spirit of Le Mans 55 cars (even though it's a long door) because I think it's the prettiest configuration for the TR2s.
Now it looks like this:

D276C578-CEAF-41DA-AF78-699AF3F988FB.thumb.jpeg.70865a9ea6bfbef36a4269aedb0becd6.jpeg

Perhaps will it give you ideas?

29 minutes ago, Teher said:

Hi,

When I bought mine a few months ago, just arrivant from California, it looked like this :

989D5644-A490-4CDB-9DC0-FA26DD4A7861.thumb.jpeg.d529c24a552040ef9bef40b6547b9da1.jpeg

I wanted to drive it in the spirit of Le Mans 55 cars (even though it's a long door) because I think it's the prettiest configuration for the TR2s.
Now it looks like this:

D276C578-CEAF-41DA-AF78-699AF3F988FB.thumb.jpeg.70865a9ea6bfbef36a4269aedb0becd6.jpeg

That looks incredible, well done! Where are you in France?

On 5/4/2021 at 5:57 AM, tr2_applegreen said:

I am currently considering to redisgn the front appearance of my apple green TR2, to give it a more "rally look".

My idea is,

• to detach the bumper,
  • to attach...
    • an anti roll bar (e.g. this or this, which one is correct?)
    • a sump gard (e.g. this one from Racetorations (damn, it is expensive))
  • to lower the Marchal spot lights and attach them similar to this picture

What are your thoughts on that idea (especially when looking at my apple green TR2)?

191215_0001.jpg

191215_0002.jpg

tr2_ (16).jpg

On 5/5/2021 at 4:23 AM, Hamish said:

try going bumperless 

easy to do and easy to fix angle iron light brackets to the bumper fitting holes ?

You can go number roundals 

the likes of demon tweeks do the stickers that I use. 

Motorsport UK our motorsport governing body frown on using comp numbers on the road.  We need to cross them out. 

i know different car but these are the different bumperless looks

aeroscreen

windscreen

windscreen / hardtop

C81FD95B-15DC-4276-844F-70B8A071587B.jpeg

EF473582-93E0-4F4D-A9E9-B65E6A720398.jpeg

15EDD4E2-E3D8-4B09-9825-2CD28CE7DF5E.jpeg

Hamish nailed it.  Wear a helmet....looks much better. :P

On 5/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, Teher said:

Hi,

Now it looks like this:

Very smart, indeed.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, Teher said:

Hi,

Now it looks like this:

Wow, that transformation looks great! Indeed, very close to what I am considering.
Did you drill holes to attatch the bonnet straps? I attached mine with magnets: 

What is the diameter for the white number stickers and what did you pay for them?

Thanks ! :)

I made two irreversible transformations on my car : the two holes in the bomb hole for the additional lights and those for the bonnet straps.

For the latter ones, I also took this difficult decision for safety reasons because I always drive with the Brooklands and I fear the inadvertent opening of the bonnet... :blink:

The diameter of the stickers is 50 centimeters and I paid about 60 € for the four… ;)

Edited by Teher
19 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

Wow, that transformation looks great! Indeed, very close to what I am considering.
Did you drill holes to attatch the bonnet straps? I attached mine with magnets: 

What is the diameter for the white number stickers and what did you pay for them?

I use them from Demon Tweeks at 45cm so just under 18”

less than £4 +p and p

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-number-background-243976/

quick despatch too.

True originality costs. 

but then they would have been painted on.