Hello,

As we are almost complet the full restoration of my TR3A, the mecanic did crack the wind-screen. To avoid long delay, he is proposing me to replace the glass by a slightly tinted wind-screen.

Question : As I entend to sale the car this summer, would this tinted wind-screen impact negatively the value of the car ?

Thank you for your advice.

Jean-Marie Antoine

11 minutes ago, Jean-Marie Antoine said:

Hello,

As we are almost complet the full restoration of my TR3A, the mecanic did crack the wind-screen. To avoid long delay, he is proposing me to replace the glass by a slightly tinted wind-screen.

Question : As I entend to sale the car this summer, would this tinted wind-screen impact negatively the value of the car ?

Jean-Marie Antoine

Depends on the amount of tint, They are I believe available with a slight top tint, not seen any with full tint though.

Stuart.

I had one made many years ago with a blue top tint to match my car colour by Automania of Reims.  They used to supply us with special windscreens.

Sadly that screen was changed after it cracked.  The tint was useful but only when the soft top was fitted.  Sunlight coming over the top of the screen is more of an issue I feel.  I now have an Amco tinted perspex screen visor that tilts.

This type of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AND-KIT-CAR-GREEN-PERSPEX-SUNVISOR-KIT-WITH-FRICTION-HINGES-/153527530859?nma=true&si=EhcYMXv%2B1znWh8dOKjn63cQb1nQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

View of my car with the visor on the driver's side of the screen.

Peter W

Contact - AUTOMANIA  74 RUE VERNOUILLET  51100 REIMS  France

Visor.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
photo added

If you are intending fitting the screen yourself be aware that the "replacement" will thinner than the original and likely shorter top to bottom . This makes for a fun time fitting it.

Ask how close to original spec the "replacement" will be.

Rod

2 hours ago, Rodbr said:

If you are intending fitting the screen yourself be aware that the "replacement" will thinner than the original and likely shorter top to bottom . This makes for a fun time fitting it.

Ask how close to original spec the "replacement" will be.

Rod

Not the ones I buy from TR Shop theyre a good fit

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I did not know that when I bought two from Moss. Another member measured his spare bought some time ago as were mine all three were under-sized approximately 0.5-0.8 mm in thickness of the glass and approx 4mm measured top to bottom against my original.  Things may have improved over the years as this was  1 years ago, doesn't time fly.

Shows differences in suppliers quality checking as Peter W pointed this difference out about screens.

Rod

I have a related question. I am about to take delivery of a Triplex supplied from Moss and am wondering about the fitting. Are there any tips or advice for the safe fitting. I helped a friend years ago and it was difficult getting the screen into position with the rubber seal.

Be glad of any tips from experienced owners

Thanks

John

11 hours ago, John Reilly said:

I have a related question. I am about to take delivery of a Triplex supplied from Moss and am wondering about the fitting. Are there any tips or advice for the safe fitting. I helped a friend years ago and it was difficult getting the screen into position with the rubber seal.

Be glad of any tips from experienced owners

Thanks

John

Plenty of lube, I use a Black and Decker workmate to pull the frame together.. I wrote this a while ago to help others fitting screens.

Stuart.

WATERMILL CARRIAGE COMPANY LTD1 Windscreen fitting instructions for sidescreen cars. - Copy.docx

On 5/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jean-Marie Antoine said:

Hello,

Jean-Marie Antoine

I think in this case he's on about a fully tinted screen. It will be a very light colour. I personally cannot imagine it will make a difference on value of the car. If you were selling it as concours standard then the make of the screen might matter but that's all, and it would be very picky. I think if you look on moss website they have pictures of clear and tinted screens. In real life I don't think the difference is that noticeable on a screen as there legally has to be a high level of light transmission which limits how much tint can be applied. 

Further to Stuarts instructions and long experience a few helpful ideas for those without the huge knowledge base and lack of appropriate equipment.

With the frame checked as per Stuarts guide fit the screen without rubber and and cleaned for a good surface make the position the screen sits with in the frame with some "Gorilla tape" strips ( sticks like the proverbial.) check the screen for near equal distance. I necessary increase packing to centralise the screen.

Clean the screen edges as described and start in the centre with thin say 1inch wide strips and attached the rubber to the screen each side in turn with a little pressure each time. Roughly 4" then 3" gap should be okay. Fold the rubber over the screen each time to ensure there is sufficient seal for each side.

You may be lucky and get it to go round the the bottom corners but I cut the strip at this point after the rough finish had split the the rubber. This left me with a single strip for the bottom with 2 feet left over.

Fit a rubber glove and apply water based lubricant (available at chemists or supermarket) liberally to both sides of the rubber and lower glass into frame and press down, it will go in in the centre but the ends will likely not. I used a couple of small ratchet straps suitably padded to pull into place. If the legs have spread use another ratchet strap to pull them in adding more lube if necessary. Trial fit the bottom rail without the rubber and repeat guiding the angle brackets into the frame. Insert the screws as described and then leave aside for a few days or hours if in a hurry and allow the rubber to relax.  If you cut it off too early it may end up short. Remove the tape and trim the seal excess off round the frame.

Follow guide for all further steps.

I did not have sash clamps nor a pro workmate so best options used. 

Beware the frame top lip can get deformed so be careful.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Never cut the glazing strip as it will eventually shrink to leave gaps and it can be useful for it to slightly bunch in the bottom corners to negate where some screens have more rounded bottom corners, I always fit the screens the way I described above and having fitted more than a dozen previously I know what works.

Stuart.