I can't be the first who has a two year old who wants to "go" in the TR.

I'm trying to find out what I have to do to make this happen legally.  My car is fitted with a racing harness in the passenger seat and not a diagonal belt.

Strangely I can't find anything on this website (I must be doing something wrong)

The gov.uk website (Child car seats: the law: When a child can travel without a car seat - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)) says: 

"When a child can travel without a car seat.  A child aged 3 or older can travel in a back seat without a child car seat and without a seat belt if the vehicle doesn’t have one." 

But I don't think I want to do that, he'll be jumping out the back of the car.

The FBVBC website (FAQs | Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (fbhvc.co.uk)says:

"What are the legal requirements for children to wear seat belts? Children under three years must use a child restraint (ie child seat or booster) appropriate for their weight in any vehicle (including vans and other goods vehicles) – so they may not be carried in any vehicle unless it is fitted with the appropriate restraint. In vehicles where seat belts are fitted, children three years and over up to 135 cm in height (approx 4ft 5ins) must use an appropriate child restraint for their size rather than the adult belt. If no belts are fitted, they must travel in the rear seat. If there is no rear seat, they may not travel."  My italics.

I was thinking I'd get the village blacksmith to knock together a cradle with appropriate ISOFIX anchor points that I could secure to the floor and roll over bar.  Anyone know if this wuld be legal?

I asked the forumites about this issue last year .I was going to put a child seat in the front for my granddaughter for when she was a bit older . General opinion was don’t . Our cars are not designed for little ones ,especially in the front . I suspect your car full of safety stuff , unlike my 6 , but I’m going to wait until she is a bit older . 

9 minutes ago, kevin bryant said:

That seems such a shame.

Yes I know what you mean ,but a “worse case scenario” just doesn’t bare thinking about and   I would never forgive myself if anything happened . 
No doubt a seat could be put in       but the size of the seats now are a hell of lot bigger and heavier  as to when I used a “dream seat “ with my kids 30 years ago . 

Edited by Crawfie

Eli has done it in France 

perhaps fit an “ordinary” seatbelt to enable fitting of suitable child’s seat and retain the harness ?

Edited by Hamish

Kevin,

Volvo are still worth listening to on this subject.

Rearward facing seats gets the safety vote up to the age of 4 years. Under this age, a childs neck strength is the limiting factor.

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/volvo-s-backwards-thinking-why-facing-rearwards-is-the-safest-way-of-travel-for-your-child-851268462.html

Bob

I'm sure that you have all seen this option before!

Tim

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.114b1f954f1932b8d6c7a3b50fa531c7.JPG

Find some private land e.g. beach, local farmer or stately home and drive slowly. Sit them in your lap and let them "steer". The Triumph MG weekend at Malvern would be ideal.

Mick

Kevin,

I wanted to be able to take my 6 year old Grandson No.2 to a race meeting in my race barge, a Ford Transit.   It has no back seats, and three across the front, so his dad can come too.   All have seat belts, that can secure a child seat, and this is legal if there are no rear seats.      Only a rear facing baby seat would not be acceptable, as this would be folded up in a collison by the impact bag.

John

• 3 weeks later...