Hi all

Currently have 5.5j minilites with 185/70HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres fitted to the 4a now's the time to replace does anyone run 175/65/15 tyres ? as I thought these would be a reasonable compromise between 185 and 165. The ones which Im looking at are Toyo Proxes CF2 from Demontweeks I know theres been some debate on here regarding sizes but no mention of 175s

Chris      

65 profile will make the rolling diameter much smaller Chris. Not only will the speedo read very fast, you are effectively lowering the overall gearing.  Your present 185/70s are a bit smaller but 175/65 is way down

165/80 - 645mm

185/70 - 640mm

175/65 - 608mm

175/75 would be much better at 643mm

Edited by RobH

Thanks for pointing that out Rob 175/75 are difficult to find so may go the 165/80 route I take it these are fine for 5.5 rims? or does it place too much stress on the side wall?

Chris

165 is the minimum width recommended for 5.5inch wheels, so will be OK. 

27 minutes ago, RobH said:

165 is the minimum width recommended for 5.5inch wheels, so will be OK. 

And probably make it handle better without so much tyre leaning. 

I have 5.5 minilites fitted with 195x65 tyres with no problem.

Tyre choice Pirelli cinturatos,  why Pirelli  because they are the only tyres fitted to Ferrari's if it's good enough for them

then they are good enough for my Triumph.

Pirellis are Chinese since about 3 years ...(you didn't know ?...major stockholder of Marco Polo and another Chinese firm...Silk Road from memory), between them about 46% shareholding...look to this to go the full Monty Chow Mein...maybe in the next year). 

I currently run 195.65.15 on 6" rims for my TR4, but have decided to change to 165.80.15 on 5.5" rims to lessen the steering effort required when parking etc.

As Rob pointed out the 175.65 are too small.

Tried oversize tyres. I went back to standard size [Vredestein]. If there was a performance advantage in the extra width  I was unable to detect it  or take advantage of it in normal road use. The penalty of excess effort at parking speeds and ride quality was not worth it. The better ride  and handling may   be due to the better intrinsic properties of Vredestein irrespective of size of cause.