Hi all, have original pancake filters for my 62 TR4. Not much enthusiam for "washing them in petrol"  - what does that mean? The alternative filters K&N on't actually seem to be paper cartridge also do they use the same mounting bolts. Would keep originals on garage shelf to maintain o/e 

Washing out gauze filters with petrol is pretty-much what it says..... put the element in a bowl of petrol, rinse it through until the dirt stops coming out. It usually takes 2 or 3 baths.

the K&N backplates attach to the same SU/Stromberg fixing locations used by originals. The top-plate of the K&N attaches to the backplate.

....... Andy 

Thanks Andy, not keen on "washing" the days of pouring stuff down the drains as in the 1970s are long gone!! My local tip won't take petrol based material.

Regards

K and N filters on H6 carbs (1962 TR4).

Clean with white spirit or petrol, then dry and oil with a 'light oil' or K&Ns proprietry stuff.

DSCN9954.JPG

3 hours ago, John Mellor said:

Thanks Andy, not keen on "washing" the days of pouring stuff down the drains as in the 1970s are long gone!! My local tip won't take petrol based material.

Regards

Leave it outside and it will evaporate.

When reassembling do get them the right way up/ There is a small hole in the base plate which has to match a similar orifice on carb. Car will start but won't run properly if you don't