Maybe I have missed a new episode, but if you mean the Esprit episode from last year, I would suggest that the (current) costs make it a non-starter for most owners. 

If a rival offering became available to introduce some competitive pricing that could alter the situation.

....... Andy 

Similar technology is becoming fairly standard on modern cars. My Audi A3 has what Audi cause a virtual cockpit, wher the instrument binacle is just another screen which can display a whole range of different dials and information.  I can have google earth with the sat nav overlaid, and zoom right down to streetview (why anyone would need street view when you can just look out the window) with differnt size gauges on top, or the media, fuel consumption etc almost endless variety.  OK they are not cheap now, but as with any technology give it five or ten years and it will be cheaper than new or replacement old style gauges.

google earth 2.jpg

P1050095 2.jpg

P1050097 2.jpg

Edited by Colin Symonds

(Sigh)

Even more to distract the driver from the actual business of driving.  I think all this nonsense - and touch-screen systems in particular - should be banned as being entirely contrary to the need for concentration and alertness. 

End of rant. 

17 minutes ago, RobH said:

(Sigh)

Even more to distract the driver from the actual business of driving.  I think all this nonsense - and touch-screen systems in particular - should be banned as being entirely contrary to the need for concentration and alertness. 

End of rant. 

+1

Tim

30 minutes ago, RobH said:

(Sigh)

End of rant. 

So you drive round not looking at the dials ? I bet 

Isn't the point that these binnacles are very cheap for the manufacturer? No gauges, no wiring to the gauges etc., no constraints on the dashboard just a link to the ECU, or more probably ECU's in the car.

Different software packages available as optional extras but involving no manufacturing cost so attractive margins. Optional extras that can be added simply at the dealer reducing model range on the production lines shortening lead times. win - win - win for the manufacturers.

Alan

12 minutes ago, ntc said:

So you drive round not looking at the dials ? I bet

Glancing momentarily at dials is one thing and has been necessary since cars were invented.  Looking down for some time while you fiddle with an arcane menu to turn on some totally unnecessary function is entirely another case. 

If you believe people won't do that you only have to look at the number who phone and text while at the wheel - that is illegal but people do it - this just legitimises the same sort of thing. 

If I remember correctly, it was not realizing which display you were using in Boeing 370 aircraft that caused a number of serious problems. The issue being that so much information was available that multiple screens were needed, and these were multiplexed onto a single display. Unfortunately, there was no instant recognition mechanism to determine which one you were in. Under conditions of stress, pilots became confused and lost control.

I would hate to be in that situation while driving a car, but I am not against software driven displays per se. My concern would be if they are multiplexed without clear indication of which one you are dealing with.

TT

Ive had a couple of Volvos with that type of display when mines been in for service, worst and most distracting was the latest XC60 hybrid, far too much stuff going on in front of you when it switched modes between electric to ordinary drive, I didnt have it long enough to explore the options to turn all that stuff off but I certainly would if I actually had one for a while. I am always glad to get back in mine as its an ex Police car so only has basic instruments.

Stuart.

Most of the dash info on modern cars is bling.

What do you need on a modern car? Speed, Revs, Temp, Fuel, main beam and indicators. Add what channel is the radio on &  satnav if I am using it. Total mileage is a legal requirement.

Do I want to know what gear the auto box is in, mpg and average speed?

The rest I don’t want to know until there is a fault.

Reminds me of a guy delivering stuff to my farm a year or two ago. He had a 3 day old new van, and was driving into a village where he saw a car parked by the side of the road. Suddenly the dash lit up and it let out all sorts of warning sounds.

Totally distracted, he looked at the dash to see what was going on and ploughed into the parked car writing off both the car and his 3 day old van.

Source of all the flashing and noise was the collision alert system he didn't know was fitted

That didn't work did it:rolleyes:

Neil

On 4/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, RobH said:

(Sigh)

End of rant. 

Agree, most people seems to forget that a car first of all is just a machine on 4 wheels meant to get you from A to B. 

Magnus