Fuel pipe union on Metering Unit return line

Tried a search but to no avail. Does anyone know what type/size of union fitting  (threaded nut and olive) I need for the PI metering unit fuel return union (screw on type). I have the male thread fitted to the metering unit, but i've lost the female part and the olive. I believe the fuel pipe is 1/4inch. Rimmer sell the whole pipe assy but I just need the nut and olive. Cheers!

This bit

97FF3DD8-DAC9-4964-AA71-0337CE6C27D8.thumb.jpeg.ae615ab62f998eb35d0c61a075a4b292.jpeg

I don’t know the size off hand, but someone may be along soon with the info

I thought I'd try and piggyback on this thread to ask my own, related question:

As you see from the pics below, I'm getting ready to reinstall the MU on my '69. As you also see, however, the fuel return is not threaded, and the catalogues show a 90-degree flexible pipe joining the copper return line without any fittings on either end. That part appears to no longer be available. So the question is: Can I simply use an appropriate fuel-resistant flexible tube, cut off the screw coupling on the copper return pipe, and Jubilee clip both ends? Talking about probable a 4-6" run of tubing all together.

Thoughts?

Blair

CBF82BC7-FEB4-4931-B861-E23D4AB92257_1_201_a.jpeg

744F71F0-3146-4840-ACFA-F1D433532D50.jpeg

Edited by BlairP
48 minutes ago, BlairP said:

I thought I'd try and piggyback on this thread to ask my own, related question:

As you see from the pics below, I'm getting ready to reinstall the MU on my '69. As you also see, however, the fuel return is not threaded, and the catalogues show a 90-degree flexible pipe joining the copper return line without any fittings on either end. That part appears to no longer be available. So the question is: Can I simply use an appropriate fuel-resistant flexible tube, cut off the screw coupling on the copper return pipe, and Jubilee clip both ends? Talking about probable a 4-6" run of tubing all together.

Thoughts?

Blair

CBF82BC7-FEB4-4931-B861-E23D4AB92257_1_201_a.jpeg

744F71F0-3146-4840-ACFA-F1D433532D50.jpeg

Yes

On 4/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, tjs said:

Tried a search but to no avail. Does anyone know what type/size of union fitting  (threaded nut and olive) I need for the PI metering unit fuel return union (screw on type). I have the male thread fitted to the metering unit, but i've lost the female part and the olive. I believe the fuel pipe is 1/4inch. Rimmer sell the whole pipe assy but I just need the nut and olive. Cheers!

My TR is a 1973 face lift model CR type. My return pipe assembly is as OEM and it has a black nylon pipe from MU to steel pipe and not copper or rubber?? Was this some sort of mod??? as it is not correct ??

Bruce. 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, astontr6 said:

My TR is a 1973 face lift model CR type. My return pipe assembly is as OEM and it has a black nylon pipe from MU to steel pipe and not copper or rubber?? Was this some sort of mod??? as it is not correct ??

Bruce. 

I think there were a few variants and people have done different options. As long as the material is suitable for modern petrol it should be fine as the bleed off is low pressure-ish. Others may correct me if wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Worth noting that the rubber inter-connecting pieces of pipe were NOT clamped. See exploded part- diagram ( link below). 

I can only assume this was due to cost-saving reasons. I recommend to fit E5/E10 hose and clamps on the return line too.

Mine started leaking one year after completion of my restoration, luckily I discovered this on my short first drive after the winter stop. The rubber had swollen and the sealing was lost, despite the clamps. The hose was marked with “suitable for unleaded fuel”; this may be correct, but this does not imply it is also suitable for E5/E10. I have notified the supplier and last week asked for a response (gentle reminder). One I get feedback, I will inform others via this forum. The members of the Register PQI- team are aware. 

Regards,

Waldi

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/fuel-system-induction-controls/tanks-pumps-pipes/fuel-system-tr5-6-to-c-cp50000-1967-69.html

Edit: Note: I used the diagram on the moss Site but to be clear: the vendor for these hoses was not Moss.

Edited by Waldi
see post

Blair,  In your picture above, the high pressure pipe with the red collar, see this forum about its suitability as a high pressure pipe, I would get a different one.

John

Gates Barricade seems increasingly to be the go to manufacturer for ethanol proof products. Not always easy to get hold of though. Alternatives are available and in the past I’ve purchased suitable products from Hoseworld (www.hoseworld.com).

Michael,

not that I’m aware of.

I ordered the separate hose and used fittings from a standard (but low quality) new hose, and had it fitted in a hydraulic hose shop. Total price per hose was around 20-30 pounds. So more expensive than from the regelar suppliers but now with a good quality hose (I did not want the ptfe hoses also for sale, because of experience from others that this increased vibrations).

Waldi