TR6 1976 spark plugs turn black

Dear Members,
I have an issue with my TR6. After a few months of refurbishing, I want to go to the car inspection so that I can use the car on the road.
The issue I have is that even after a short drive around the house, all spark plugs turn black (see attached pic) and stop firing.
Initially I thought it had to do with using the choke too much but even without choke the plugs turn black after less than a mile.
Original US 175CD-2 carbs installed.

This is  what I already tested and tried untill now:
- messured compression, all cylinders are about 130psi warm
- timing set to 4° advance
- checked that choke is really turned off when engine is warm
- iddle screws (front side) are closed
- disconnect the rocker cover outlet (avoid oil sucking in)
- checked Temp compensator (close at ambient, opens above 50°C)
- set mixture to min (tried also 1-2 and 3 turns clockwise)
- used champion N9Y and N12Y plugs: no difference
- when I do the mixture test described in manual (lift air valve +/- 6mm) engine stalls => too lean? 

Suggestions and thoughts are very much appreciated!

thank you
Martin

20210428_143250.jpg

Martin, I think we can rule out carb faults as all 6 pluga are sooted. The timing may be far too retarded. Many USA 6s have low compression heads where a static timing nearer 18 BTDC is optimal. if that works we might need to invstigate inoperative vac capsules on the disy. Peter

"plugs stop firing after less than a mile"

they dont look sooted enough to do that. do they start working again after a cooling down period?  I,m thinking maybe coil. Is it correct for the 6, later 6s have ballast resistor wire in loom and need a coil that runs on ca 9volts. If you fit such a coil to an non-ballasted loom it will overheat. Is coil hot when firing fails? also lots of duff coils around.

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

If the photo in your OP shows a typical plug, Martin, it is not sooted up!  Nothing like!   Pursue a different diagnosis, along Peter's line.

John

They look pretty clean to me!

Check, by replacing, the disy condenser.  Also check the short braided wire that  earths the moving plate to the disy body is intact.

Just a quick confirmation (as an oily 4 potter) plugs look pretty clean to ma also. LNK has continued to fire/ run with much worse which, in my mind, points to ignition breaking down elsewhere ? 

43 minutes ago, martinTR6 said:

Could this combination result in too weak sparks?

A 12v coil requires 12v supply to work properly. The primary coil energy will be 25% low if you really are running it on 9V from the ballasted supply.