Lubricating noisy rev counter

With my TR6 finally on the road (thanks again to all on here for the huge help over he last five years) I’m sorting through minor issues. 

I have noticed the Rev counter ticking and now making more of a grating/ whirring noise. If I take it out, where should I be aiming any oil and what sort of oil also? WD 40? Silicon ? Etc. 

Thanks

Mark

If you are lucky the noise will just be a dry drive-cable Mark, best lubricated by withdrawing the inner and rubbing  it with graphite powder.  If it really is the rev counter itself it isn't just a case of squirting oil anywhere. It may be the bearing on the rotating magnet assembly but you need to open the case to get at it.

This link is labelled speedometer but the rev counter is very similar:

http://obswww.unige.ch/~wildif/cars/docs/Smith-jaeger_speedo_repair.pdf

Be very careful. I dismantled and lubricated mine with silicon lubricant  and I might have have overdone it- it started reading maybe 25% high after a month or so.

I wouldn't just spray lubricant into the case.

Is your tacho cable OK and properly lubricated? You also  need to keep the cable lubricant maybe 200mm from the tacho connection at the back of the meter to stop oil migrating into the instrument.

Edited by Mike C