Tr4A Handbrake Upgrade, Temp guage test.

Hi Keith and Pete, I got them ready,

spacer and washer shaped to the radius of the trailing arm and fit.

2Oum1gwQPCCLsnuE9Y6vUCz3dev3FgAb-5ij4FOI

I made them a bit more solid than my own (not in use anymore). Pete you see the Girling lever is missing?

VaoNCBSaNfv9lDAzz0pbG2H_9ETk1l6LJLo7ua0j

Test them and for any questions please ask

77t22by6BGdyB2FdOz1Gin16MLQ1i7xtUR9kHqMM

If you are pleased with the result please report, if not please remain silent :lol:

Ciao, Marco

B)

arrived today  . .

P1380671.JPG.aeff80b3d2372aec8d036a283ee29b1a.JPG

BIG THANKS  Marco  ..and I did not even have to make a donation to the government :rolleyes:

I will let you know when I fit and try them, but this may be in a month or so time, as first I must address more critical issues like the chassis repairs to my car's rear diff mounting bridge.  I also need to source a couple of springs.  Presently my handbrake appears to work well enough to not have been noticed, but I will look forward to reporting improvements.  Perhaps you can do the same for my Chrysler Voyager !

As an aside I have also bought new flexi-pipes for the brakes (in my ongoing task of replacing this car perished rubber) and one day soon I will spend a couple of days going through the whole braking system dismantling and greasing, as well as flushing out the old fluid.   Marco also wrote of replacing the handbrake cable with one which is lined. I will check to see what sort of condition Katie's  is in and replace that if necessary too.

B) Again many thanks Marco ..I owe you a beer 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

On my 4a, since we intended to tow a caravan and needed a powerful handbrake, I made two modifications:  (1) I drilled a new hole for the cables in the handbrake flange, closer to the handbrake pivot, (2) I had longer brake operating levers made, and realigned the cables so that the levers and cables met as near to 90 degrees as possible.  This should all have resulted in a much longer travel of the handbrake lever for the same amount of braking, but in fact it stayed comfortably on the ratchet length and my wife was able to hold the car and caravan on a hill without difficulty.

David 

Hart formerly of HRS (Stags) has been selling extensions for the handbrake levers for years. Fitted to both my TRs and the Stag and not had any alignment issues that would require spacers fitting. They are angled. Very simple and require no modifications.

I like the idea with the spring, however the cables themselves to have an element of elasticity and simple ageing cables can reduce the efficiency of the handbrake.