Static & total timing numbers

Hi guys.

I have electronic ignition with vacum disconnected, PI cam, triple webbers on my TR6.

I have a strobe light. 

Would i be in the correct ballpark of 11° static and 33° total at 4500rpm 

Thanks guys. No need to be exact, but would this be a sensible starting point. 

Well I've set static at 12°. It was at about 18. 

Still getting bad rev hang. Ill need to go through the linkage from start to finish. It may be just the cable needing oiled. Start with the basics I guess. 

OK so slightly different setup (supercharger) but have 12 degrees BTDC at idle not including vacuum advance which adds another 10. Then curve maxes out at 32 degrees at 3500 rpm. Also have it set up to  retard the ignition 6 degrees at 4psi boost but that probably isnt relevant

Interestingly only just added the vacuum advance and have found it really helps cruise particularly around town.. much less choppy..

All this is controlled by an Aldon Amerthyst

Tim

I've set it to 12° on idle. Thats all I can do for now. It was at 18. 

I have bad rev hang. I'm going to go through the comete linkage to check somethings not sticking. If its still hanging, ill have a look at the carb settings. 

20140513_173441.jpg

Edited by murrayarnold
Photo

rev hang could be mixture related. have had it with webers on an elan. Was overfueling and residual fuel left in the inlets was burning and keeping the revs up.

Tim

20 minutes ago, murrayarnold said:

I've set it to 12° on idle. Thats all I can do for now. It was at 18. 

I have bad rev hang. I'm going to go through the comete linkage to check somethings not sticking. If its still hanging, ill have a look at the carb settings. 

20140513_173441.jpg

In my view the only way to sort a DCOE set up like yours is on a rolling road by someone who knows how to set up DCOE's. Otherwise you are working in the dark. It might be an idea that you tell us what jetting you have.

Bruce.

18 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

In my view the only way to sort a DCOE set up like yours is on a rolling road by someone who knows how to set up DCOE's. Otherwise you are working in the dark. It might be an idea that you tell us what jetting you have.

Bruce.

Bruce is correct. Webers have a lot of interconnected parameters which makes things really complex. There used to be a great Yahoo site, sidedraft central, which worked to improve our understanding of how these carbs worked.. Was REALLY complex!

Cheers

Tim

OK its now running OK. Timing sorted. As for rev hang. It was the linkage. There are 3 main springs. I was only using 2. At the pedal, and at the  swivel  bracket under the carb. I have now taken of the one below the carbs and attached the one from the top of the linkage to the rocker cover. That sorted it. Easy pedal and nice rev drop. I will now get it on the rolling road and depress myself by finding out my 150hp engine only produces 130 ha ha ha. Sure as hell it will be that way. 

Edited by murrayarnold
Typo