TR Technicalities Seat Bracket Info

21 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Afternoon all

I believe there are some modified MX-5 seat bracket details ( as opposed to the flat bar type) available for a TR4a on the forum somewhere, or does anyone have the technical drawing/ details they could forward to me?

Thanks

Kevin

They are on the Technicalities CD which as a member you should have, if not ask the office to send you a copy. I much prefer that type of bracket set up, much stronger.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

They are on the Technicalities CD which as a member you should have, if not ask the office to send you a copy. I much prefer that type of bracket set up, much stronger.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart have phoned them and they are sending one out. Agree the flat bar brackets are a bit flimsy  and leave the seat flat on the floor.

Btw, is the dished wheel you use which looks like the flatter 4a type Herald or Vittesse? I thought all Heralds had a two spoke type?  My brother’s driving the car with me later in the year and is a bit stockier than me so needs more knee room!

Kevin

23 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Thanks Stuart have phoned them and they are sending one out. Agree the flat bar brackets are a bit flimsy  and leave the seat flat on the floor.

Btw, is the dished wheel you use which looks like the flatter 4a type Herald or Vittesse? I thought all Heralds had a two spoke type?  My brother’s driving the car with me later in the year and is a bit stockier than me so needs more knee room!

Kevin

I think its a Herald one IIRC .Its not that much more dished but does make a difference for us long legged people.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, foster461 said:

I made the brackets from the Technicalities CD to use with my TR6. I did this a long time ago and they have worked well.

This is the brackets getting trial fitted. I eventually restored these seats with new foam and covers.

DSCN2025-L.jpg

They are good brackets, well designed and strong.

Stuart.

Those brackets do indeed look well thought out and robust but I reckon if I tried them with MX5 seats in my 4A then at 6'3" my head would be bouncing on the hard top! I am very happy with early Federal TR6 seats that fit straight on to the existing 4A runners, just requiring catch plates to be fitted to engage with the safety mechanisms. 

Tim

DSC01144.JPG

6 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

Those brackets do indeed look well thought out and robust but I reckon if I tried them with MX5 seats in my 4A then at 6'3" my head would be bouncing on the hard top! I am very happy with early Federal TR6 seats that fit straight on to the existing 4A runners, just requiring catch plates to be fitted to engage with the safety mechanisms. 

Tim

DSC01144.JPG

Well I`m an inch taller than you and I fit no problem in mine with out getting my head anywhere near the roof, The secret is having the MX seats with the original amount of filling in the base, most recovered ones tend to be over stuffed and you sit on rather than in the seats.

Stuart.

photo1755.jpg

Edited by stuart

I guess it all depends on whether that inch is in the legs or trunk Stuart! I know someone the same overall height as me who has trouble finding enough headroom in most cars because his legs are relatively short and his upper body disproportionate!

Tim

2 hours ago, tim hunt said:

I guess it all depends on whether that inch is in the legs or trunk Stuart! I know someone the same overall height as me who has trouble finding enough headroom in most cars because his legs are relatively short and his upper body disproportionate!

Tim

I have long legs perhaps thats why I dont have a problem fitting in.

Stuart.

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually supply the brackets as described in the technicalities CD? If not, I’m surprised no one has made them more widely available.

..... Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyR100 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually supply the brackets as described in the technicalities CD? If not, I’m surprised no one has made them more widely available.

..... Andy 

Yes RMR Engineering in Folkestone, Kent sell them ready folded with some of the holes pre-drilled. They are £35 plus £5 carriage inc vat for a set which tbh is good value.

For me to drive 7 miles to get some steel and spend time measuring/ cutting and folding, I thought it would be a no brainer to order some up. Number is 01303 253166.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
7 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Yes RMR Engineering in Folkestone, Kent sell them ready folded with some of the holes pre-drilled. They are £35 plus £5 carriage inc vat for a set which tbh is good value.

For me to drive 7 miles to get some steel and spend time measuring/ cutting and folding, I thought it would be a no brainer to order some up. Number is 01303 253166.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

thanks for that - I hadn’t seen them mentioned in any previous posts, as you say seems a very fair price to reduce the hassle.

....... Andy 

11 hours ago, foster461 said:

The technicalities design is a bit brute force.

But definitely the strongest of the lot and also they negate the problem which sometimes occurs of the floor splitting around the mounting holes.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

But definitely the strongest of the lot and also they negate the problem which sometimes occurs of the floor splitting around the mounting holes.

Stuart.

That’s a good point too, the flat 3mm bar type have no rigidity in the vertical direction and I can imagine the constant flexing of the seat and bar might eventually split the floor and even the bar. The technicalities version offer much more strength in that regard.

Kevin

I've made my own MX5 seat brackets during my TR5 restoration. Rear 3mm flat plate but wider than TR Trader type. Front an adaptation of the Technicalities type so that it lifts the seat front to give me more support under the legs. I've drilled extra holes in the floor and brackets and welded captive nuts under the floor so that the brackets have 4 floor fixings instead of 2 to avoid any potential for cracking at the fixings and make the floors and brackets effectively act compositely to enhance strength.

Might be a bit Victorian Isambard Kingdom Brunel over engineering, but it works for me.

Question - my car is a long way from being finished so I haven't actually driven it yet with the MX5 seats installed, but are the MX5 seat runners substantial enough to span between raised fixings without buckling, i.e. because they don't have full length support from being located completely flat on the floor will they bend?

Dave McD

On 4/26/2021 at 10:07 AM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Can someone advise where they are on the Technicalities CD please?

Rgds Ian

On 4/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, Dave McDonald said:

Question - my car is a long way from being finished so I haven't actually driven it yet with the MX5 seats installed, but are the MX5 seat runners substantial enough to span between raised fixings without buckling, i.e. because they don't have full length support from being located completely flat on the floor will they bend?

Dave McD

If you have the original runners complete then yes theyre fine Dave.

Stuart.