Resistance is Futile

Hi sage ones,

I have owned my beloved long door TR2 for longer than my memory stretches and I’m on the down hill phase of the full rebuild of my old E Type now I keep being told there’s no future for historic cars as they will likely be outlawed or petrol rationed to a pint per month. Am I wasting my time or should we resist?

Regards Pete

264A3DC3-9AF1-4D2E-9873-F38293DCB66A.jpeg

AE18D029-0AD5-4EA2-924E-A722F18C58BD.jpeg

5A99434D-4D48-4692-A91B-CE59AA0DEE49.jpeg

Hi Pete,

it will all come to an end very soon.  Bring your E type around t me and I'll stretch to giving you £10 for it.

Seriously it will not stop overnight.   So many areas rely on petrochemical by-products. 

If they continue to crack the crude for the exotic bits where will they put the rubbish we burn off for them.

Think of 2050 and beyond.

When civil air transport goes electric or gliding then start to worry

Roger

Pete

you are right the end is nigh

just finish the e type and pass it over to me and I’m sure I can do something with it for you. 

seriously tho

I think we will be ok for a bit. My view is that some wealthy and or important people are into historic vehicles.  Who have the ear or mobile number/ WhatsApp contact of the decision makers and we will be allowed to continue for a while longer 

( damn it Roger beat me to it whilst I was typing. I’ll give you £40 but you have to finish it )

Edited by Hamish
Ps

Thanks for the offers guys but as you say I need to get it finished. Still just completed the business end, see pic. I really worry about our future and what will happen to these wonderful machines. I so love taking my granddaughter out in the TR, see pic, and she wants me to leave it to her my will, but it’s seems a little futile. Guess I’ll just have to enjoy it while I can. 

6D538035-BEFA-4455-8D9A-0B70AA15D754.jpeg

C8FF3B65-CE1E-4AA6-825F-0AA7DF5DCB2A.jpeg

Move to Australia. We are taking practical rational measures to achieve the required standards.

If the worst happens there is always an electric conversion.

Ralph

8 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Move to Australia. We are taking practical rational measures to achieve the required standards.

Love too

but I bet it’s changed from when I was there1989/90

4 hours ago, Hamish said:

Love too

but I bet it’s changed from when I was there1989/90

Maybe, living here you don't see the incremental changes as they occur. Born and bred in Sydney I moved away in 1972 when I joined the Navy. I came back with a family in 1989 and am still here. I love the Australian bush but I'm a city person, and the kids and grandkids are here.

Sydney and environs is actually a great spot for classic cars. We now have numerous and growing freeways to get out of town quickly and that take heavy vehicles off other roads. Outside Sydney north, south and west are great drives.

17 hours ago, Hamish said:

I think we will be ok for a bit. My view is that some wealthy and or important people are into historic vehicles.  Who have the ear or mobile number/ WhatsApp contact of the decision makers and we will be allowed to continue for a while longer 

This and the fact that these influential people have invested in classic cars as assets. Look at the prices and the profiles of the people who enter pebble beach, goodwood revival, etc. 

Boris would be up 24/24 replying to text messages! 

Well the suns out, my daughter has a day off so I’m off for brunch at my favourite tea shop in the middle of nowhere. Will post a pick later. I only did 145 miles last year so I’m going to burn some fuel this year......... or produce more CO2 agggggggggggh! 

40 minutes ago, PeteT said:

so I’m off for brunch at my favourite tea shop in the middle of nowhere. ................... produce more CO2 agggggggggggh! 

Veggie brunch then Pete ? :wacko:

oh no sorry that would be methane :rolleyes:

Edited by Hamish
20 hours ago, PeteT said:

Hi sage ones,

I have owned my beloved long door TR2 for longer than my memory stretches and I’m on the down hill phase of the full rebuild of my old E Type now I keep being told there’s no future for historic cars as they will likely be outlawed or petrol rationed to a pint per month. Am I wasting my time or should we resist?

Regards Pete

5A99434D-4D48-4692-A91B-CE59AA0DEE49.jpeg

Perhaps we should all convert to LPG ?

Having saved both my cars from the jaws of entropy I really hope something comes along with the required energy density to power them into the future. Preserving the sound and spirit of the cars is just as important. After all we came up with vaccines didn’t we? Well not me of course but humanity.

You may have missed this: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2021/02/0264/FBHVC-clarifies-the-introduction-of-E10-petrol-for-TR-owners

I believe that the supply of suitable fuel will outlast me but what my grandchildren will do, I have no idea as we don't have any.

Mick

An interesting little snippet, it would be interesting to know how much the overall weight is compared to an internal combustion engine car, a little extra weight could make it feel sluggish and heavy, having owned an 1.6 MX5 you could tell quite a bit of difference in performance with a passenger in.