How could someone do this?

Looking for a replacement petrol fuel filter there seems to be little attempt to differentiate between petrol and diesel amongst many sellers. The manual says NOT to fit a diesel filter. Surely we should expect the materials to be different? Is this just something from the 70s and today either filter will do? Or am I right in thinking that this is a possible reason for poor running? Some proper wisdom required here please... 

GFE5296 was the original Unipart spec part number for the filter which was fitted to both diesel Land Rover and PI Triumph.  How does that work then?

Just type that part number into an internet search engine near you.

Am I missing something or is the filter just a bit of paper with tiny holes in it to catch the crud and stop it contaminating the components of the fuel system.  I considered it was all to do with the size of the holes in the paper.

Couple of these would fix the pipe clipping if you are concerned.

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-accessories/fuel-pumps-regulators-accessories/fuel-hose-and-clips/plastic-herbie-pipe-clip-12-2mm-14-8mm/

image.png.cb1a227f9745be6d9d49070144ff60f1.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Ken I went down the same road recently and found that most filters do both applications nowadays. Yes I too found the text you have shown above but after trying to find a specific petrol example I gave up. Times change and that info is now "old hat" and as I have said specific petrol ones are unobtanium.

I fitted a Bepco example after much searching. I wouldn't worry too much about what you have in the car at present.

Alan G

7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

GFE5296 was the original Unipart spec part number for the filter which was fitted to both diesel Land Rover and PI Triumph.  How does that work then?

Just type that part number into an internet search engine near you.

Am I missing something or is the filter just a bit of paper with tiny holes in it to catch the crud and stop it contaminating the components of the fuel system.  I considered it was all to do with the size of the holes in the paper.

It all depends on the filter and it's design.

Most automotive oil filters are just as you suggest, resin impregnated cellulose, with pores of around 60ųm to 100ųm

Stops crud, allows carbon to go through.

For fuel, specifically petrol, the std filter and most alternatives are also resin impregnated cellulose.

Better ones use graded multilayer glasspack

If you want a proper job and are willing to fit a filter that is none Triumph standard, buy a Racor filter.

They come as 10ųm, 20ųm or 30ųm rated

The media is called 'Aquablok' and is a patented product, which uses multilayer glasspack for particulate removal and a patented aquaphobic layer to remove water

A Racor filter WILL stop 97% of particulates at the rated media grade and larger, it will also stop 95% of any water in the fuel.

I don't have the part number(s) to hand, but could dig them out if you are interested.

Alternatively, ASAP in Beccles are a long time internet distributor

https://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/racor?cid=824701632&adgpid=68113062477&itemid=&targid=dsa-662501984299&mt=b&loc=1006748&ntwk=g&dev=t&dmod=&adp=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwppSEBhCGARIsANIs4p7tDMk2D7NirfZeY4RpHXv5UPUQ0l5QmFFUjkKXXKpi8MfxSy2pn5caAjdDEALw_wcB

I have used Racor on all my boats and on my PI.  I wouldn't retrofit anything else.

Other makes claim spectacular results, but, I've seem them tested and Racor is the only one which does what it says on the tin.

I have no connection with Racor or Parker (who own Racor), I just know they are the best you can get

On 4/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, Ken Trethewey said:

Is anyone as shocked as I was when I found this yesterday?

F743C84B-BB96-42EF-82E3-343B5FE64C30.jpeg

The original part number for the Lucas filter element was: 54733180. You s/b be able to cross refer this part number to a Unipart or CAV part number.

Bruce.