2 hours ago, tim hunt said:

DSC01146.JPG

They were an option though not built in like a 5 they were a separate Lucas type IIRC like this Lucas lamp

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, stuart said:

They were an option though not built in like a 5 they were a separate Lucas type IIRC like this Lucas lamp

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I never knew that. As a matter of interest do you know when the provision for a reversing light switch on the gearbox top cover was first made? I fitted Wipac reversing lights, preferring these to the TR5 type since they needed only two tiny holes for the wires rather than a socking great one in the middle!

Tim

5 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Thanks Stuart, I never knew that. As a matter of interest do you know when the provision for a reversing light switch on the gearbox top cover was first made? I fitted Wipac reversing lights, preferring these to the TR5 type since they needed only two tiny holes for the wires rather than a socking great one in the middle!

Tim

I think from TR4 (4syncro box) there was a plinth on the gearbox top for reverse to allow for the drilling.

Stuart.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:43 PM, stuart said:

I think from TR4 (4syncro box) there was a plinth on the gearbox top for reverse to allow for the drilling.

Stuart.

Hi,

My TR4, built Jan 1962, had the top cover switch fitted and the wiring loom had the requisite feed into the boot.

Dave

On 5/2/2021 at 9:06 PM, DaveB66 said:

Hi,

My TR4, built Jan 1962, had the top cover switch fitted and the wiring loom had the requisite feed into the boot.

Dave

It must have been specified for reversing lights from new then Dave for it to have the wiring back there already in the loom as that was extras normally, unless the loom had been latterly replaced with a more modern one..

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I think the loom was original, just in the process of fitting a new one as it is a long way past it's use by date. Interesting that there's no mention of reversing lights on the Heritage certificate along with heater, windscreen washers and Michelin X tyres

Dave