Oil pressure

Just been out for a drive in the six. Had to replace to oil pressure gauge over the winter with a second hand one. Before a changed it, oil pressure at idle (700rpm) when hot was 30 psi which I was happy with.  At 2000 rpm it was 70psi , also pretty happy. 

Now with the new gauge it is still reads 30psi at idle but now it is only just above 50psi at 2000 rpm. Is this just gauge variability?

Tim

20 psi is too much for production variability. One gauge is wrong. If you are worried get the gauge tested against a calibrated gauge- in Australia I'd use a NATA certified  lab for this, we used them to test pipe hydro test gauges- there must be similar accredited test labs in the UK. 

Might cost a bit for the peace of mind but probably worth it in the long run.

13 hours ago, OldBob said:

Hi Tim,

70 psi when hot sounds on the high side,  my readings match your new gauge if it helps?

Bob

Both my TR2s and the TR6 have 65-70 when hot at cruise revs. The TR6 has just received a new oil pump and it is 70psi hot without fail. 

Thanks folks.  Might keep it with the new second hand one I have and take the current numbers as the new baseline. 
The hot idle figure hasn’t changed and is pretty healthy. 
tim

20 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Just been out for a drive in the six. Had to replace to oil pressure gauge over the winter with a second hand one. Before a changed it, oil pressure at idle (700rpm) when hot was 30 psi which I was happy with.  At 2000 rpm it was 70psi , also pretty happy. 

Now with the new gauge it is still reads 30psi at idle but now it is only just above 50psi at 2000 rpm. Is this just gauge variability?

Tim

I would never bother to use a second hand one when you can go direct to  Caerbont Automotive Instruments in Swansea  they are well known to the Mini boys and buy a new one made on the Smiths OEM tooling and calibration checked before being sent to customer? My oil pressure is 50 psi hot and 70 psi above 2000rpm. But I have got a Chris Whitor  tight tolerance pump and it is a rebuilt engine!

Bruce.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:23 PM, astontr6 said:

I would never bother to use a second hand one when you can go direct to  Caerbont Automotive Instruments in Swansea  they are well known to the Mini boys and buy a new one made on the Smiths OEM tooling and calibration checked before being sent to customer? My oil pressure is 50 psi hot and 70 psi above 2000rpm. But I have got a Chris Whitor  tight tolerance pump and it is a rebuilt engine!

Bruce.

Hi,

What oil viscosity are you running

Cheers,

Iain.

20/50

21 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I am using 20/50. as I have done for over 40 years in my TR.

Bruce. 

Hi Bruce,

With such good oil pressure when hot, Would not a change to a thinner oil aid oil flow around the engine especially during the heating up period & not just dumped straight back to the sump?

Cheers,

Iain.

Oil coolers? My 240k mile std crank on 20/50 gets 70psi hot at 2400 rpm. After 20min tickover it has dropped to 50 at 2400. Oil cooler doesnt do much stationary.

Peter

Have an oil cooler. Stat is always open when running appart from on the coldest of days. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:12 PM, SpitFireSIX said:

Hi Bruce,

With such good oil pressure when hot, Would not a change to a thinner oil aid oil flow around the engine especially during the heating up period & not just dumped straight back to the sump?

Cheers,

Iain.

My car always had good oil pressure even at 96K and over 40 years of use. The thing that killed the engine was glazed bores and worn pistons/rings and was advised by a well known engine builder to rebuild the lot. The cam shaft bearings were not showing any signs of wear which was unusual and said that was a key to my high oil pressure. It must have had very regular oil changes in its life. But I have to say that my oil pressure did not change but the compression did go to 175 psi.

Bruce.