TR3A Windscreen Stanchion Screws.

Hi all,

Anyone have these (2BA) to hand so they can confirm the exact length for me.

Know there are two short, and one longer on either side, but also that anything too long,

cowies the glass.

John.

John,

I read about these screws before and I thought they were not 2BA but something slightly more exotic. Also if you have bought new corner backets to hold the two parts of the screen together i believe that they are M5, and as one of the holes in the corner brackets is used to screw to the stantion you need to take care.

Did you buy the screws specifically sold as stantion screws or did you buy them as 2BA because that is what you thought they were. Just saying because the last thing you want to do is get them to the correct length, but find they are the wrong thread and possibly mess up the screen .

But I may be wrong...

Charlie.

22 minutes ago, mikej said:

All are screws, 2BA

I've just checked from previous threads because I was sure I'd read that they were not 2BA and discovered that several people say they are 10/32 UNF (That's what they say, but I don't know why it's not called 5/16 UNF)

However...

Ian Vincent said:

"... larger screws being 10/32 UNF but since this is only a gnats c**k different to 2BA, and the latter are far easier to get hold of, I have cleaned the threads out with a 2BA tap and will go with that..."

Charlie

51 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

That's what they say, but I don't know why it's not called 5/16 UNF

10-32 is not a fraction so is not equivalent to 5/16. The small UNF threads below 1/4 inch are given numbers from 0 to 12. It stands for "Number 10,  32 tpi".    5/16 UNF is much bigger.

Rob,

Thanks for the clarification. After I wrote it I realized that 5/16 was probably bigger than the thickness of the glass, so it could not be right.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

The small UNF threads below 1/4 inch are given numbers from 0 to 12. It stands for "Number 10,  32 tpi"

What a funny old world Screw-thread-land is.

Charlie

12 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

What a funny old world Screw-thread-land is.

Indeed Charlie. A veritable minefield. 

Charlie, Mike, Rob, Thanks Guys,

I had ran a 2BA Tap through, so pretty confident

they gripped, and well aware of the dangers of overlong screws, hence the question,

I'll get 20mm and two 25's thanks once again.

John.