Purchased a lovely new set of leather seats (MX5) plus the runner conversion kit from Paul Bishop. Basically, you remove the old seats and runners etc. Using the original captive nut bolts, you fix Paul's conversion in exactly the same position, but at right angles to the originals. Struggling with the kit. The original runners are fixed into the floor, in line with the seat sides, all easy. Pauls conversion goes across instead at right angles, but unfortunately falls slightly on top of a pressed floor ridge at the rear tunnel side. Has anyone had a similar experience with this kit & how did they get over it? As it stands I would need to acquire some much longer bolts to make it work, if I have to put a spacer in to go above the floor ridge. I'm sure Paul has experienced this before & will help sort it, but in the meantime any help would be appreciated!

Hi Guy I can’t completely remember what I did, it was a few years ago and my TR6 is garaged away from my house, I purchased 2 lovely MX5 seats from Paul Bishop.

I did not know Paul did the adapter plates, but I purchased mine from an Essex group member which I think are the same.

I also had a metal plate in the rear in the way so I purchased these.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Galvanised-Restraint-Strap---1-6m/p/246008

I choose the 5mm thick straps because of the obstruction thickness and all the holes, I would have used them across the car, front and back as packers, also being 5mm I thought the adapter plates would not flex on top of these, rather than 4 short packers.

All I can say is I had no trouble fitting my seats.

I know some people raise up the front of the seats for more comfort, I put washers undermine because the adapter plates were just touching something when full tight, but I can’t remember what, possible my new gear box tunnel but that’s a guess.

Hope this helps.

Guy,

I have different brackets, but the original nuts welded on the underside of the floor are 1/4” UNF, that is the type used on many places in our cars.

Waldi

15 hours ago, Guy Vinall said:

Purchased a lovely new set of leather seats (MX5) plus the runner conversion kit from Paul Bishop. Basically, you remove the old seats and runners etc. Using the original captive nut bolts, you fix Paul's conversion in exactly the same position, but at right angles to the originals. Struggling with the kit. The original runners are fixed into the floor, in line with the seat sides, all easy. Pauls conversion goes across instead at right angles, but unfortunately falls slightly on top of a pressed floor ridge at the rear tunnel side. Has anyone had a similar experience with this kit & how did they get over it? As it stands I would need to acquire some much longer bolts to make it work, if I have to put a spacer in to go above the floor ridge. I'm sure Paul has experienced this before & will help sort it, but in the meantime any help would be appreciated!

Guy,

Never had any problems fitting Paul's brackets which bolted through the exiting holes into the captive nuts perfectly: has your TR6 been rebuilt with repro floors?

Here's mine during fitting up:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157690380502643

Cheers, Andrew

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Guy,

I have different brackets, but the original nuts welded on the underside of the floor are 1/4” UNF, that is the type used on many places in our cars.

Waldi

Yes Waldi, just 1/4" UNF set screws securing a seat to the floorpan. Two of mine on the 4A stripped their threads after repeated seat removals so I drilled and tapped for 5/16". I really ought to do the other six.

Tim

That’s a good idea Tim, mine were still sound so I left them 1/4”, but in case of doubt about the condition of the nuts, it is worthwhile doing this. 
Waldi

21 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Guy,

Never had any problems fitting Paul's brackets which bolted through the exiting holes into the captive nuts perfectly: has your TR6 been rebuilt with repro floors?

Here's mine during fitting up:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157690380502643

Cheers, Andrew

Yep same here, flush with the floor. 

I fit the brackets as found described in the technicalities CD as theyre a much stronger bracket and the angles are better for comfort and dont need to be shimmed.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been speaking to Paul regarding a set of seats for my 72 TR6 the only concern I have is will they fit with the roll bar I have.

The existing seats have headrests and leave about 2.5 inches to play with.

I note Andrew has a windbreak in place and the MX5 seats work.

Has anyone combined a roll bar and MX5 seats.

Thanks

Phil

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg