Good TR6 driving

With all the stories of problems I want to tell a more positive story.

On Wednesday I took the TR6 (1970 PI) to our monthly coffee morning, a 160km round trip. The car ran sweetly so on Thursday my wife and I decided to take it to look at a property we are interested in, about 200kms away on the NSW south coast.

We had a fantastic run on freeways and windy country roads, albeit a few rattles are p...ing me off.

Met up with Register members last night who were on a TT in the area and had a great night of Thai, wine and mates.

Drove home today and the car is running superbly. Averaged 23 mpg in a mix of city traffic and country driving.

After we got home I thought I should check a few things so put her up on axle stands.

Adjusted the back brakes, checked the diff and gearbox oils, both over full (I must have not had the car level last time and it may account for the leaks from those areas). Tightened the exhaust joints, rear shock mounts (telescopics on proper chassis mounts) and checked throughout for any chassis damage. 

No problems found. A mate has my grease gun so I'll get it back on the weekend, grease the car and she will be good to go for another while.

These cars aren't always just problems. (Although I've had my share)

Next week I'll book her in to get some paint issues sorted including the hardtop coloured red.

IMG_0599.jpg

Edited by John McCormack

Hi John,

Funny you put this up. It is true that we do dwell sometimes on the problems.

I've had some fabulous experiences in my TR6. 

Two trips to Spa including some fun track laps and driving through rainstorms on the way to Brussels. Driving through the tunnels under Brussels, an aural feast of thrumming 6 cylinders..

Two trips to Le mans, driving deserted autoroutes in blazing sun, driving through a massive thunderstorm keeping speed up to keep dry with the top down :-). Track laps on the famous circuit, cruising around Le Mans town with lots of other classics

A 10 countries rally, mountain passes to die for, groups of TR owners eating lunch in alpine meadows..

An RBRR with my sister, arriving in Lands End and John 'O' Groats as the sun rises. Late night driving through the highlands on deserted roads. Single track roads in scotland... Glen Coe...

And countless trips on holiday, mainly in cornwall driving to the beach...

fun fun fun!

Tim

20181006_095900_resized.jpg

What wheels have you got on there John?. They look really good.

Regards

Bill

I used the 6 as my sole daily driver, year round, for ten years and ca 16,000 annually. Most common jobs were drive shafts UJs, several cracked pistons, front suspension bushes, clutch plate, waxoyling, plastic points. PI never missed a beat until pump started to weep. On a run about 28mpg. I reckon "use it of lose it" applies to 6s. Never had a fault that could not be solved, DIY, in a weekend. Never needed a trailer recovery, although a wisp of smoke on over-run belied to need for a new piston. Most alrming  fault  was fuel gauge sinking betweem motoway services: pipe over drive shaft had pinholed spraying fuel around. Get me home fix was self-amalgamating tape, split rubber tube and jubilee clips ( all carried in boot...just in case).
Peter

Forgot dead-engine on motorway from ignition failure-  live wire to coil to disy had gone open crcuit at connector. Several flats form rust in rims. And one AA call-out to cut off seized ignition-steering lock. Gearbox noise in first ( layshaft bearing) was ignored for several months by the simple expedinet of not using 1st. Peter

On 4/24/2021 at 2:47 AM, Bill944T said:

What wheels have you got on there John?. They look really good.

Regards

Bill

Original wheels that were chromed many years ago. I actually like them in the original matt silver with trims but they are what they are. Cheers John

On 4/24/2021 at 2:48 AM, Peter Cobbold said:

I used the 6 as my sole daily driver, year round, for ten years and ca 16,000 annually. Most common jobs were drive shafts UJs, several cracked pistons, front suspension bushes, clutch plate, waxoyling, plastic points. PI never missed a beat until pump started to weep. On a run about 28mpg. I reckon "use it of lose it" applies to 6s. Never had a fault that could not be solved, DIY, in a weekend. Never needed a trailer recovery, although a wisp of smoke on over-run belied to need for a new piston. Most alrming  fault  was fuel gauge sinking betweem motoway services: pipe over drive shaft had pinholed spraying fuel around. Get me home fix was self-amalgamating tape, split rubber tube and jubilee clips ( all carried in boot...just in case).
Peter

My daily driver since 1976 is my short door TR2. It has travelled all over eastern Australia, goes to the shops, tip, club runs and today to visit my 98 year old mum on the other side of Sydney. The speedo was broken for a long time but I estimate it has done 250,000 miles, 400,000kms, in my ownership.

It has let me down once or twice in 45 years but only once needed a tow home. The clutch failed and sounded very bad so I called the AA to tow me 1.5kms home. A fair number of road side repairs but nothing more significant than a water pump change. 

Here it is a few months ago with the TR6.

With TR6.JPG

Edited by John McCormack

The rattles that were annoying me have been located and repaired.

I visited a nearby mate and TR2 owner of many years and while I shook and rocked the car from all angles he went searching. While the rattle sounded like front suspension or steering it turned out to be the front body mounts. The drivers side mount in the engine bay was loose enough to allow slight movement and the others also took a bit of tightening.

We tensioned up all the body mounts and a few other noises have also disappeared.

Edited by John McCormack
On 4/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Peter

Hi Peter

This is a great story and exactly how I intend to utilise my newly-acquired gorgeous TR6.

It does need some jobs doing before cruising commences - oil change, water change, brake fluid change, solve the very strong fumes in cockpit, tidy up back end valance.  Once done I'll have it MOT checked and it will rolling regularly.  Made a note about self-amalgamating tape , rubber tube and jubilee clips. Thanks - maybe see you in N Wales, we have family there and used to live in Gwernymynydd.

Nice to read a road trip story every now n then...Mine was my daily driver in the 1970's for around 8 years until I needed a 'family' car. Now it's just taken out the garage for a run once a month, but only on a dry day, and put back under it's dust sheet. Although I am really glad I once did a long road trip in it, down through France and Spain in 1973 when it was one of the fastest cars on the road! 

Have got to love my cars a lot more since I began driving them on long runs. This year I have the round britain rally again in the TR6 which really is a lifetime experience. This time I am also running a Triumph 2500 TC saloon for my uncle and cousins. Perhaps a mistake, but should be fun :D

Edited by Tim D.
On 4/29/2021 at 10:08 PM, Conradski said:

Hi Peter

This is a great story and exactly how I intend to utilise my newly-acquired gorgeous TR6.

It does need some jobs doing before cruising commences - oil change, water change, brake fluid change, solve the very strong fumes in cockpit, tidy up back end valance.  Once done I'll have it MOT checked and it will rolling regularly.  Made a note about self-amalgamating tape , rubber tube and jubilee clips. Thanks - maybe see you in N Wales, we have family there and used to live in Gwernymynydd.

Dont forget ali coat hanger, spare injector, points, plugs, araldite.......etc. I also carried a spare ,new Lucas fuel pump but never needed it.

We are in Derwen near Ruthin but my 6 is in need of fettling and so  do I. May get to VSCC Oulton or Loton Park with a bit of luck, perhaps meet there.

Peter

On 4/29/2021 at 10:08 PM, Conradski said:

Hi Peter

Conrad, cockpit fumes can be from non-standard twin exhausts allowing fumes to be sucked forwards, there was a long thread a few years back. The standard box avoide the problem  Peter

Peter

1 hour ago, CP26309 said:

Nice to read a road trip story every now n then...Mine was my daily driver in the 1970's for around 8 years until I needed a 'family' car. Now it's just taken out the garage for a run once a month, but only on a dry day, and put back under it's dust sheet. Although I am really glad I once did a long road trip in it, down through France and Spain in 1973 when it was one of the fastest cars on the road! 

We must be amongst a select group of TR6 drivers who discovered they are not bad on snow and ice. I recall several times on hills when fwd cars struggled to grip the 6 pulled smoothly away. Nowadays it hibernates, much like its owner. But it comes back to life every spring and the feeling of familiarity when firing it up and driving is indescribable. Peter