door mirror position?

Default, not really. Bracket mid line either just onĀ or just behind the A Pillar seems to work. LNK is dead centre as it affords a wider field of vision (IMHO)

MB: mirror type dependent of course

Mirror.jpg

Edited by North London Mike

Morning Pete,

been distracted this last day of two - don't ask!

If the mirror works there for you grand, don't think there is a 'Wrong' place in that region, mine (Photo if you want) is a tad nearer teh swage line.

Stay safe pal,

John.

Thanks Gents, still awaiting a reg number after a visit from the DVLA's agency home inspection team, their wheels certainly turn very slowly these Covid days.

Ā 

No default position of course. But for the purists, your mirror is too new, and black of course. Typical 70s TEX mirror but was not available when the TR4(a) was in production so would never have been fitted when new. TheĀ Lucas type Efuentes is showing was period and fitted (by the importer or the dealer)Ā on lots of British cars exported to the USA. My 1967 Jaguar 420 has one since new (Californian car). My TR4 (also California) has a bullit type mirror fitted on the drivers side front wing since new.Ā Ā 

Can definitely say NOT here.... not sure what they were thinking when they put the mirrors there, but itā€™s almost comical trying to see stuff out of them. Ā Driverā€™s side works OK if I crane my head to the left around the windscreen, but the passenger side is flat and wonā€™t point down the fender line no matter how much I adjust. Ā I finally just usedĀ a miniĀ convex stick-on and peer carefully at the tiny mirror when Iā€™m too lazy to look over my shoulder. Ā Ā 

323F2DB8-804E-4867-89C2-469F795D39D3.jpeg

• 2 years later...

I have bought two "bullet" mirrors from ANG and trying to pluck up the courage to drill holes in the doors. I understand there doesn't seem to be any "official" exact location. Currently i only have a mirror on the driver's side which i think is a little lower down than others i have seen. If i cannot get the new one to cover the existing hole i may need to weld and re-spray that.

Regarding positioning the mirrors on the wing rather than the doors. I have seen a car that has the mirrors a bit closer to the wheel arches than the green 4 pictured above and i thought looks okay. Any other members have the mirrors positioned on the wing rather than door?

20240410_074515.jpg

20240410_073617.jpg

Not on the wing I have mine on the doors see photos in this threadĀ 

what I would say is where ever you fit the bullet mirror make sure the passenger side works for youĀ 

I couldnā€™t locate mine in any useful site so went for the Tex typeĀ 

John

Where you have put them on the doors is the same as mine on my 5, give or take a mm. They work fine there. the other positions shown in this thread look - well awful.

Ā 

I like the 70's MG Tex style, more for functionality than anything.Ā  Saw too many TR4 racing videos with these mirrors to doubt their functionality.

I have one each side.Ā  Mine is more or less in same place as yours.Ā Ā 

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

Edited by RMP NC

I plucked up the courage to get ready to drill holes in the doors for the new bullet mirrors but quickly realised that there's not enough space on the inside of the door for the plinth. Any suggestions of how to attack this? Cut the interior plinth back a bit - but that's a bit of a bodge i would like to avoid if at all possible. I don't really want to mess about taking the door to bits and taking the glass out either. Does anyone have any photos to share of the inside plinth and where it sits on the door?

I am thinking the easiest solution is to get hold of a mirror similar to the original where i can use the existing hole.

Anybody interested in buying two brand new bullet mirrors? :)

Ā 

20240411_142230.jpg

20240411_160153.jpg

20240411_144300.jpg

Maybe I am wrong but I did not put in an "interior plinth".Ā  First, my mirrors were further back behind this open area where everything was inside the door.Ā  Second, I used rivnuts with washers on the back of them andĀ inside the door skin.Ā  ThisĀ provided strength for the rivnuts, to mount the mirrors.Ā  I could access the area behind the mirrors inside the door by rolling up the window and removing the door card.Ā  Ā Admittedly there were no instructions in my Tex mirrors but I did not take it that any part of the kit was for interior plinth.

Whoever drilled that original big hole made a bold choice.Ā  AsĀ they say go big or go home.Ā Ā 

Seriously, you may be better to just reuse the big hole, unless you plan to fix it somehow.Ā  Clearly a proper fix would require metal work and painting the door at least.Ā  Maybe you get by with putting in a rubber plug or something that is not too visible.Ā  Maybe paint the plug the same body color.....

Ā 

Thank you RMP, i am leaning towards using the same hole. Wish i had thought this through a bit better before buying the bullets....

16 hours ago, RMP NC said:

Maybe I am wrong but I did not put in an "interior plinth".Ā  First, my mirrors were further back behind this open area where everything was inside the door.Ā  Second, I used rivnuts with washers on the back of them andĀ inside the door skin.Ā  ThisĀ provided strength for the rivnuts, to mount the mirrors.Ā  I could access the area behind the mirrors inside the door by rolling up the window and removing the door card.Ā  Ā Admittedly there were no instructions in my Tex mirrors but I did not take it that any part of the kit was for interior plinth.

Whoever drilled that original big hole made a bold choice.Ā  AsĀ they say go big or go home.Ā Ā 

Seriously, you may be better to just reuse the big hole, unless you plan to fix it somehow.Ā  Clearly a proper fix would require metal work and painting the door at least.Ā  Maybe you get by with putting in a rubber plug or something that is not too visible.Ā  Maybe paint the plug the same body color.....

Ā 

+1Ā  Ā  Ā That plastic plinth is the same as the fitting used on the Tex mirrorsĀ  as seen on the red car. I just fitted one on theĀ passenger side of my Dolomite. The plastic block and base gasket are held to the door with the self tappers and the mirror is then attached to the block with a grub screw.Ā  The originals had an alloy mounting block which was much better, but now we have these cheap plastic items. Somewhere I did read that they now have to be able to detach in case you hit a pedestrian which is why they are plastic, but I think this is just an excuse for cheapening the kit.

Ralph

Besalu

Donā€™t give up on your bullets. It looks like you have ones which adjust in two places. I had the fixed sort and on the passenger side could only ever see the hedge wizzing past on that side. Once I changed to the ones in the photo below, they work fine. Pics are of them on my TR5.

Hope that helps.

Mike

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

On 4/12/2024 at 8:49 AM, Aldpilot said:

Besalu

Donā€™t give up on your bullets. It looks like you have ones which adjust in two places. I had the fixed sort and on the passenger side could only ever see the hedge wizzing past on that side. Once I changed to the ones in the photo below, they work fine. Pics are of them on my TR5.

Hope that helps.

Mike

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

What make are they pleaseĀ 

Sorry to be slow coming back Garry, been out in my car todayā€¦top down.

I donā€™t know the make. I got them from Bad Boy Classics and can see they still sell them.

https://bbclassics.co.uk/products/pair-fully-adjustable-chrome-bullet-door-mirrors-tex-fitment?variant=44134470451502&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&cmp_id=19179379818&adg_id=&kwd=&device=c&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk578uaHChQMVp5JQBh1ovAjeEAQYASABEgIce_D_BwE

Not cheap, but pointless getting the single adjustment sort unless you can mount them to actually give the rearward view you needā€¦ā€¦. I couldnā€™t.

No connection with the company, just pleased with their product which has been on my car for 4 years now.

Mike

IMG_0193.jpeg

17 hours ago, Aldpilot said:

Sorry to be slow coming back Garry, been out in my car todayā€¦top down.

I donā€™t know the make. I got them from Bad Boy Classics and can see they still sell them.

https://bbclassics.co.uk/products/pair-fully-adjustable-chrome-bullet-door-mirrors-tex-fitment?variant=44134470451502&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&cmp_id=19179379818&adg_id=&kwd=&device=c&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk578uaHChQMVp5JQBh1ovAjeEAQYASABEgIce_D_BwE

Not cheap, but pointless getting the single adjustment sort unless you can mount them to actually give the rearward view you needā€¦ā€¦. I couldnā€™t.

No connection with the company, just pleased with their product which has been on my car for 4 years now.

Mike

IMG_0193.jpeg

Thank you