TR3A Gearbox Cover

My 1960 TR3a only had a hole at the back for greasing the propshaft u/j, and a small hole on the lower left side with a grommet for the o/d wires to go through.  I cut another hole to take a floor bung for the jack hole opposite the gearbox filler/level plug to make servicing easier.

Ralph

If you have a gearbox dipstick then this is what you should have unless the car is an early TR2 when it wouldnt have the top front centre hole which is for the battery box drain. (The eagle eyed among you will notice the two small screw holes for the ashtray behind the gear stick hole as this is an Italia gearbox cover.)

Stuart.

IMG_6194 - Copy.JPG

Edited by stuart
2 hours ago, stuart said:

If you have a gearbox dipstick then this is what you should have unless the car is an early TR2 when it wouldnt have the top front centre hole which is for the battery box drain. (The eagle eyed among you will notice the two small screw holes for the ashtray behind the gear stick hole as this is an Italia gearbox cover.)

Stuart.

IMG_6194 - Copy.JPG

16 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Have you got an oil filler dipstick?   If not a hole in the LH side to access the filler plug in the casing side.

4 minutes ago, Bob Tyers said:

Thanks

Stuart do you have a photo of the opposite side please.. Bob

Unfortunately not, only this one of the inside.

Stuart.

IMG_6202 - Copy.JPG

Here are two sides of the tunnel on my car as prepared by works/comps. First shows the inspection/ access plate for overdrive solenoid adjustment or replacement.

Second show additional holes for servicing the actuating mechanism.

You can also see the additional small holes created by using a bodger for the twin fire extinguisher rack that’s was on the top of the tunnel and for the Halda speed pilot to the rear of the gear stick aperture.

I have seen two additional works/ comps prepared cars from 1957/8 that are identical to this.

image.thumb.jpeg.91551fcb9ba902f558f855f07713db4d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.906c6f88423ce44e2e251c551870989f.jpeg

good god!! butchered doesn't do the word justice, looks like nine extra hole more than mine had. bit pointless putting any sound deadening on that, looks like a st valentines day massacree. and i thought i had it bad with extra holes in mine.

Edited by R.M.