Jag mk2 - bad idea?

On 4/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, EliTR6 said:

Hi Peter, do you mean safety wise? 

It's always a concern but driving responsibly, keeping on top of maintenance, fitting seat belts, being on the look out for hazards, keeping lots of space between vehicles and adapting my speed help. Most trips are 5mi to work and nursery school or 20mi to see my parents, maybe 40mi to see the in laws. Small towns and 50mph speed limit on quiet country roads, I rarely feel scared around here even on the motorbike. Perfect conditions to run a classic car. 

The real worry is will the family enjoy the experience? And what about longer trips? 

I've got a recent golf for days when the weather is bad or I just need to bomb down the motorway to get somewhere. The classics are for trips where I can afford to take more time or to arrive late. 

Hi Eli,

Yes mainly safety, but I also found that as my family got older they had their own interests.

As a teenager my daughter did not want to be seen in a sports car with her dad.

These days driving my TR has become a solo experience!

22 hours ago, Peter V W said:

Hi Eli,

Yes mainly safety, but I also found that as my family got older they had their own interests.

As a teenager my daughter did not want to be seen in a sports car with her dad.

These days driving my TR has become a solo experience!

The missus is about to begrudgingly join the dark side. Test drove this little gem this morning. She's seriously tempted. 1977 1100cc in tidy unrestored condition. 

PXL-20210424-091730461.jpg

PXL-20210424-090941283.jpg

• 4 months later...

Quick update here: brought this home over the weekend (sans drugs in the boot), a 1985 230TE with 280k km on the clock. Needs a bit of welding underneath and the self levelling suspension is going to cost a bit to get right but once these are fixed it will make for a great everyday classic. 

There's also a classic Mini (British Open, a 1300cc) on the way for Madame, I'm driving it home from Lyon on the weekend.

Now I just need planning permission for a garage big enough to squeeze all of the toys into!

pxl_20210919_164629439-2-jpg.765684

i hope the mini is also a matching colour 

those mercs are real battle wagons and should be great for the family.

H

17 minutes ago, Hamish said:

i hope the mini is also a matching colour 

those mercs are real battle wagons and should be great for the family.

H

None of the colour choices were intentional but we have a lot of green vehicles suddenly 

IMG-20210813-WA0067.jpg

IMG-20210813-WA0068.jpg

• 3 months later...

That will be a big scream from the wallet then.

German metal can be very sneaky and quietly melts away from the inside where you can't find it until its nearly too late:angry:.

My W124 estate reached 22yrs before showing signs in the expensive places, my current C class estate is starting to show at 19 yrs.

You will have a great car when its done ,lovely family driver.

In the meantime just keep taking the tablets:D

Bri

On 1/15/2022 at 2:34 PM, stuart said:

Eli, we have a saying for that over here its "If I was you I wouldnt start from there!"

Stuart.

It's a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't... It's going to cost a bit but should still end up less expensive than the few ones for sale in good condition. 

I'll be sticking to UK made classics after this! 

On 1/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, EliTR6 said:

I'll be sticking to UK made classics after this! 

But you may appreciate the much higher quality of built compared to a TR6 (I will hide). Enjoy the restoration.

Cheers,

Waldi

• 2 months later...

Quick update here 

I should have bought the jag, might have been a cheaper project! The bulkhead was so full of holes after sandblasting that I ended up sourcing a coupe shell in much better condition. We're now waiting for some jig fittings that cost an  fortune to rent for 3 days to weld it up, sandblast the new front end and then finish the repairs and start reassembly. 

img-20220323-wa0011-jpg.2747984

pxl_20220325_094829158-jpg.2747985

pxl_20220325_094946842-jpg.2747988

pxl_20220325_094626792-jpg.2747986

pxl_20220325_094850548-jpg.2747987

Edited by EliTR6
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

So this happened... Drove it back from Biarritz , 1000km. Didn't miss a beat. Ready to start buying and selling antiques! 

PXL-20220423-152934697.jpg

Good choice, they are bomb proof!

Stuart.