First Vehicle TAX and Registration

Morning all

I have tried a search on First Vehicle TAX and Registration but have not found what I need to know so thought I would try a post. I purchased the 1958 TR3 about 5 years ago from Florida and have all import docs and tax forms are available for its import to the UK. I have progressed the restoration to a point where all running gear is restored and back on the chassis and the tub is all welded and placed on the chassis, the engine is now at the machine shop from machining and I hope to get this back in the next couple of weeks for assembly. A friend of mine applied for a First Vehicle TAX and Registration V55/5 (but on old uk car) at about this stage and before he completed the restoration ie before inspection (MOT equivalent). I am now looking to apply for my registration /age related number plate on this import and there is a section on the V55/5 that requires me to state L/H drive or R/H drive, I have converted from L/H to R/H and am concerned I may have caused myself an issue when applying for the age related plate. Is it acceptable for me to record R/H even though first registered L/H and only just converted to R/H by myself, or do I need to change back to L/H for the DVLA inspection and registration and then convert to R/H drive?.

Also any other hints and tips fro getting through this process will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I bought my TR3a as a LHD model in the US and during my rebuild converted it to RHD.  I didn't have any inspection prior to registration other than an MOT which was carried out at a local garage.  I then sent all the paperwork off to DVLA who issued the V5 with an age related registration.

My car was originally bought by a US serviceman (USAAF) who was posted to Germany so the vehicle spent two years in Europe before being imported into the US.  As a result the Florida title document showed a date of 1961 instead of the 1959 as per the details provided by Bill Piggott.  The initial V5 that DVLA issued reflected this but when I wrote to them and explained the situation - along with evidence that the chassis number had to make it a 1959 car, they were happy to re-issue the V5 with the correct date.  In fact a lady phoned up to clarify exactly what I needed.

Rgds Ian

PS The DVLA will not return your US Title document (even if you ask for it nicely) so if you are interested in keeping that sort of thing, you will need to make a copy.

Edited by Ian Vincent