TR6 Door mirrors

Hi Guys,

I need to fit door mirrors to me TR6, the neck isn't as flexible as it used to be for looking behind, especially when backing into the garage :rolleyes:.

I intend to fit GAM258/259 mirrors as originally fitted. Rather than get the better half to try and hold them  and mark the position when I can say I can see along the car (never going to work !), can anybody provide dimensions of where the fixing holes in the door should be to give the best view. 

I know some will say that the passenger side  door mirror is  useless, but using a convex glass from DG Bull Glass services Ltd I believe will improves the vision.

Thanks 

Rich

3 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

I need to fit door mirrors to me TR6, the neck isn't as flexible as it used to be for looking behind, especially when backing into the garage :rolleyes:.

I intend to fit GAM258/259 mirrors as originally fitted. Rather than get the better half to try and hold them  and mark the position when I can say I can see along the car (never going to work !), can anybody provide dimensions of where the fixing holes in the door should be to give the best view. 

I know some will say that the passenger side  door mirror is  useless, but using a convex glass from DG Bull Glass services Ltd I believe will improves the vision.

Thanks 

Rich

If GAM258/259 are the old Marina type which are commonly fitted to TR's? You will never get a good field of view from either of them in my experience! There is a good argument to widen the rear view mirror to greatly increase the field of view and you do not have to drill holes holes in the doors.

Bruce.

Um! not sure about that. I have GAM 105 bullet style fitted to TR4A, with a convex glass in the passenger side. I have to say that the view from these are good and I can see down the side of the car. I find it difficult to see why the GAM 258/9's (originally fitted) would not also give a reasonable view fitted to a TR6. The GAM 105 Bullet style do not look right on a TR6.

Just need someone who has them fitted to give me a heads up on dimensions of where best to place them on the door that works.

Thanks 

Rich

Bruce,  I have a Wingard mirror fitted to my TR6, in fact its been there since before I purchased the TR in 1978. The style of mirror is very similar to the later GAM mirrors and the front edge of the mirror is positioned 12mm from the front edge of the door. Both fixings are accessible when the door is opened and not necessary to remove any door trim panel or window glass in order to access the fixings. The mirror door glass is slightly convex and I don't have any issue with seeing what is coming up from behind on the adjacent lane albeit I do always have a quick glance over my shoulder anyway.  I don't have a passenger door mirror.

cheers

Derek

PS if you want exact measurements I can do that tomorrow when there aren't so many cars in the drive behind the Triumph and I can open the door fully   

Wingard door mirror.JPG

Hi Derek

I like the idea of the double skin fixing arrangement must be much stronger than the single skin of the door panel and easier to undertake and maintain. Are they SS nuts and bolts and is this the original fixing position? 

Andy

Andy, 

Door mirrors were not a standard factory fitment for the TR6, except for the later US models. The GAM type mirrors were fitted as an accessory by the Triumph / BL Dealer.

For the early TR6 where a door mirror was to be fitted this was a single arm Wingard mirror and dimensions for the fixing position were provided in service information sheet 5/152 and newsletter 215 and these were 6" from the front edge  of the door and 2.5" vertically from the top edge of the door.  The single hole required was 5/8" diameter and the service sheet noted that  the door casing was to be removed.

For the US 1972 model onwards Bullet type mirrors were fitted as standard however I don't have any document giving the position. 

As for my mirror pretty sure they must be stainless steel fixings or to put it this way they haven't corroded!

cheers

Derek

Hi Derick, 

The Wingard mirror fitted to your 6. Does it fit in a similar way to the GAM style ie, a plynth secured to the door, the mirror attached to that with a securing screw.

Your pictures seems to show studs protruding from the mirror?

Rich

On 4/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, saffrontr said:

Bruce,  I have a Wingard mirror fitted to my TR6, in fact its been there since before I purchased the TR in 1978. The style of mirror is very similar to the later GAM mirrors and the front edge of the mirror is positioned 12mm from the front edge of the door. Both fixings are accessible when the door is opened and not necessary to remove any door trim panel or window glass in order to access the fixings. The mirror door glass is slightly convex and I don't have any issue with seeing what is coming up from behind on the adjacent lane albeit I do always have a quick glance over my shoulder anyway.  I don't have a passenger door mirror.

cheers

Derek

PS if you want exact measurements I can do that tomorrow when there aren't so many cars in the drive behind the Triumph and I can open the door fully   

Wingard door mirror.JPG

Thank you for your kind offer, always helpful as ever. But I removed my Marina type mirrors over 10 years ago. The reason was that I had 2 rust scabs appear one on each door and took the car to a body shop for repair. I lived and worked in the USA for 6 years during this time there was a US TR in our apartment complex which had MX5 mirrors fitted to it. I saw this mod on a number of TR's when I was there. After seeing what a difference these made to the field of view. There is no comparison between them and Marina mirrors, so I decided to do the same! I have not regretted doing this as I also see it as a safety issue. The purists will not like it but my engine restorer said you certainly know where all the traffic is in London! Both mirrors will cover 6 lanes with ease. There is no problem in overtaking in Europe.

Bruce

23 hours ago, astontr6 said:

... which had MX5 mirrors fitted to it.

Thus electric too? Was a nice idea and that's one for me to look at. Thanks for the idea.

14 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

Thus electric too? Was a nice idea and that's one for me to look at. Thanks for the idea.

The MX 5 mounting has a curve on it which exactly blends in with the curve on the TR door. Also the mounting nuts were welded to the inside holes, so that there is no chance of them coming loose or vibrate. Not all the MX5 mirrors are electric? Mine are colour coded to the body colour. If you require dims. let me know?

Bruce. 

On 4/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, astontr6 said:

The MX 5 mounting has a curve on it which exactly blends in with the curve on the TR door. Also the mounting nuts were welded to the inside holes, so that there is no chance of them coming loose or vibrate. Not all the MX5 mirrors are electric? Mine are colour coded to the body colour. If you require dims. let me know?

Bruce. 

Yes, but I think Mazda mixed electric and heated in different years but that could be academic but nice to have.

Do you know if all Mks of MX5 have the same curve or at least Mk1, 2 and 3? I suspect the Mk 3s are different doors to Mk 1 & 2 but could be the same curve, I suppose.

What was your Mk, please?

I have an MX5 Mk3 in the garage, as it happens. After your post I did have a look and did wonder about the curve (as my TR6 my doors are away at the moment).

On 4/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, saffrontr said:

Door mirrors were not a standard factory fitment for the TR6, except for the later US models. The GAM type mirrors were fitted as an accessory by the Triumph / BL Dealer.

Not being sure of the mirror rules i thought i'd check as my car is about to go back on the road properly and currently has no door mirrors.

So to me the "Mirror requirements for cars" regs on Gov.uk seem to state that cars used prior to 1978 should be fitted with with an External Offside mirror and that there should be a nearside mirror or an internal mirror that provides enough of a view of the nearside rear to nake that not necessary.

So the question is that right or do pre 78 cars only need one internal mirror that provides a good view of the rear?

I intend to fit mirrors to both doors but could do with a quick round the block test drive and as curious to whether it was ok or not.

Cheers   Keith

On 4/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, saffrontr said:

Not being sure of the mirror rules i thought i'd check as my car is about to go back on the road properly and currently has no door mirrors.

So to me the "Mirror requirements for cars" regs on Gov.uk seem to state that cars used prior to 1978 should be fitted with with an External Offside mirror and that there should be a nearside mirror or an internal mirror that provides enough of a view of the nearside rear to nake that not necessary.

So the question is that right or do pre 78 cars only need one internal mirror that provides a good view of the rear?

I intend to fit mirrors to both doors but could do with a quick round the block test drive and as curious to whether it was ok or not.

Cheers   Keith

Oh and by the way what is the correct Part No for the mirrors.

Rich quotes GAM258/259 but looking at DMG they give nuymbers GAM215/216, with Rimmers its 213/214 etc.

They all look like the generic BL 1970's door mirrors fitted at all and sundry or are they different?

Cheers   Keith

Keith,

No idea where todays GAM numbers come from but back in the day the June 1975 BL Unipart brochure gives the numbers GAM131 to GAM134 depending on whether LH or RH and whether convex or flat.  Possibly the numbers used nowadays are from much later in the 80's and 90's or maybe even later and no doubt todays manufacturer of the mirror has changed, certainly the length of the arm is now quite a bit longer than they were originally.

Derek  

1975 Accessories brochure TR6 door mirrors.JPG

On 4/27/2021 at 11:47 AM, Richard Pope said:

Yes, but I think Mazda mixed electric and heated in different years but that could be academic but nice to have.

Do you know if all Mks of MX5 have the same curve or at least Mk1, 2 and 3? I suspect the Mk 3s are different doors to Mk 1 & 2 but could be the same curve, I suppose.

What was your Mk, please?

I have an MX5 Mk3 in the garage, as it happens. After your post I did have a look and did wonder about the curve (as my TR6 my doors are away at the moment).

I under stood that Mk1 and MK2 had the curve? I got mine from MX City on a direct visit to them.

Bruce.

I have a 1971 LHD TR6 from the states. The single door mirror is fitted to the driver's side only. The drawback was that it is flat because the states did not allow convex. I've just bought and fitted a convex replacement and it makes a big difference. I bought another bullet (original) for the pax side and fitted it in the same position RHS. Did't work because of the flat glass however that should be sorted by the second new convex. 

Don't be tempted by the bullet from Rimmers they have a much smaller lens and not as flexible. I can provide a photo of the fitting.If any one wants one I have same.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:33 AM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Any pictures of these mirrors installed on your car, Bruce ?

Cheers.

Please see attached photos as requested. Please note the other two will be to follow. 

TR Left Passanger Side Mirror  2.jpg

TR Left Passanger Side Mirror.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, saffrontr said:

Keith,

No idea where todays GAM numbers come from but back in the day the June 1975 BL Unipart brochure gives the numbers GAM131 to GAM134 depending on whether LH or RH and whether convex or flat.  Possibly the numbers used nowadays are from much later in the 80's and 90's or maybe even later and no doubt todays manufacturer of the mirror has changed, certainly the length of the arm is now quite a bit longer than they were originally.

Derek  

1975 Accessories brochure TR6 door mirrors.JPG

As I understand they are still branded TEX as they were when fitted to Marinas and MGB's in the 70's

Bruce.