Electronic Ignition

I have just fitted a complete Power Spark dizzy, and wondering what a typical advance setting would be. It seems to want to be around 7degrees before TDC

the car is fitted with a fast road cam which may have some bearing

any thoughts welcome

tks

Richard

On a flat road, engine fully warmed-up, drive to 30mph & select direct top gear. Floor throttle, if you hear pre-ignition:retard if you dont hear pre-ignition: advance. Correct setting is at the point where the pre-ignition just stops. This method takes all fuel/cam/wear/altitude factors into account.

If been told Power Spark it is a copy of the Pertonix Ignitor, I used the Power Spark some years and had sometimes not expainable ignition faults.

Now I use Pertronix and the German distributor clearly demands not to keep the ignition ON for longer as necessarily needed (1 minute) without the engine running.

In this case about 4 A current ( own measurement) constantly flows through that tiny electric device to ground and causes damages.

Indeed with the Power Spark I did not know this, shure with several troubles I had the ignition on for a longer time and this could explain my ignition problems.

Ciao, Marco

(shure, not the aswer to your question, but perhaps the answer to something you never have to ask...)

Edited by Z320

Sorry, it is a copy of the idea, indeed the looks some kind of different,

but it's more or less a simple electronic switch triggered by a magnet ring - without the safety feature "continious current switch off".

If you buy a more expencive "Pertronix Ignitor 2" you got this feature.

Edited by Z320