Is there any merit in fitting updated brake shoes? I have the 10inch Alfin drums from Moss Europe.

if there is merit what would you recommend?

thanks

Richard

Do you have the 10" back plates to fit the shoes?

There is some discussion over exactly how much the drums on a TR contribute to braking with a single system for front and back brakes. Braking tends to transfer weight and effectiveness to the front brakes. The split system available doesn't allow for a balance adjustment between front and back. 

The TR3s had 11" discs at the front and 10" drums at the back then later the heavier and more powerful TR5 had 10.75 discs with calipers having the same size pistons and smaller pads at the front and 9" drums at the back. I am not sure of the logic behind this ?

I must state an interest as I have split brakes with a adjustable balance bar between front and rear brake lines on my 4.

Michael

8 hours ago, MichaelH said:

The TR3s had 11" discs at the front and 10" drums at the back

Michael

As far as I am aware the TR2,3 & early 3A had 10" drums, Then later 3A's changed to 9".

Bob.

Anorak Time regarding brake sizes.

TR2 to TS5442  10" x 2.25" front  drums,   9" x 1.75" rear drums (Lockheed)

TR2 & TR3 from TS5443 to TS13045 10" x 2.25" front & rear  drums (Lockheed)

TR3 & TR3A from TS13046 to TS56376  11" front discs, 10" x 2.25" rear drums (Girling) - this is the biggest and probably heaviest brake set up on all TRs

TR3A from TS56376 onwards 11" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

TR3B TSF series 11" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

TR3B TCF series 10.8125" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

TR4 upto CT4690 (ish) 11" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

TR4 from CT4690 (ish) 10.8125" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

TR4A, TR250, TR5, TR6 10.8125" front discs, 9" x 1.75" rear drums (Girling)

The factory diddled about with rear wheel cylinder sizes for the Girling braked TR3/3A/4 using 0.75" 0.625" & 0.7"  The 0.7" were fitted through to TR6.  There is mention of 0.75" rear cylinders being used on very late USA spec TR6. Anyone got part number or vehicle proof of that? 

The only proof I have is a NOS TR6 rear brake back-plate and shoes assembly with 3/4" cylinders that came from the Canley clear out.  C&B had boxes of these things and we used to sell them at a tenner each.  Bargain if you needed shoes, adjusters and cylinders. - (a shoe set was £7.50)

Cheers

Peter W

Im very happy with the braking on my 4a with 10" rears and 3/4" cylinders, possibly the fact that its a solid rear axle car with uprated rear springs and running 195 tyres makes a difference to how the brake balance works. Certainly shows well on brake rollers at MOT time.

Stuart.

I have a standard, non-assisted setup on my car, with uprated pads (Mintex) and shoes (from TR Enterprises), MOT man said my brakes were better than some modern cars, however they have ABS!  Cheers, Andrew

43 minutes ago, AndrewMAshton said:

I have a standard, non-assisted setup on my car, with uprated pads (Mintex) and shoes (from TR Enterprises), MOT man said my brakes were better than some modern cars, however they have ABS!  Cheers, Andrew

So do you Andrew, it’s just that you have to instigate it. Senna never used ABS.

First actions in a strange non ABS car is gentle brake application to see how it stops, then with a good head of speed give it an emergency stop application to find the grip coefficient and effort required of the Brake system. Thats when you can practice differential braking, or increasing braking effort to find the exact lockup poundage on steady state braking.

Mick Richards