Hi All

Does any one else struggle to fit the H frame in a 4a it seems I have to use brute force to get it into position and I mean brute force pulling the dash up and forcing the frame forward possibly putting a bit too much strain in this area as I do get a bit of resonance/vibration in the middle of the dash  (I do have a plastic moss gearbox tunnel fitted) the only fix I can think of is removing about 3/16 from the top lip  

Chris

Hi Chris,

they tend to need quite a bit of encouragement to get into position but nothing brutal.

Have you tried to fit the H with the tunnel removed - was it easier.  It could be the tunnel that is the problem.

If it is the gap between floor and dash that is tight then you could use a scissor jack to help spread it.

Don't go cutting the H frame - that is the right shape.

Do you have the carpet under the H legs - it shouldn't be there.

Roger

I too had this challenge on the 4A.  I sat down and took time to assess all the witness marks on both the dash angle bracket and the back of the H-Frame, and noted some misalignment and interference issues which made it just "too tight" a fit.  After some (maybe considerable) dremel work on the H-frame with the cover removed and straightening the angle bracket, it is now a routine snug fit on install and removal.  I hope my son thanks me  20 years from now (LOL).

Cheers,

Alf

They are supposed to be a good fit as thats what they are for to hold everything tight together and prevent scuttle shake. Not unusual to have to jack the scuttle up slightly.

Stuart.

I usually have to draw the H section down onto the chassis using the bolts and then it pops in.. Suspect a tight fit is better then loose.

tim