Please take a look under my bonnet

^ I'm in agreement with your appraisal and conclusion.  My car was restored 20+ years ago to a sympathetic but non-original-spec. The car has no significant history that i feel obliged to preserve ..and so I feel free to do what I like with her.  My own criteria then is to help preserve the car, and retain the essential character of what a good standard example TR4 / 4A offers.  In the meantime I'm aiming for it being safe, reliable with lesser maintenance, and pleasantly driveable. 

And I whatever I might do..  is reversible.  After all a 'usual restoration' involves chassis reinforcements, replacing panel & repainting, interior and trim, together with mechanical & suspension, cooling and wiring 'upgrades'.

Pete 

• 3 weeks later...

Work In progress. .

the radiator was removed for easier access to replace ; the engine mounts + the steering rack brackets + the water pipes + fan belt +radiator mounting rubbers.  I also removed the fan to check the fan-extension's bolt was tight (my torque wrench only goes up to 110ft-lb ..and as it happens it was tight, but I think still worth checking - Thanks Mickey).  With the radiator & ducting out of the way, there was also more of the rusty radiator water stains and the car's was previously painted colour was apparent.  So I clean things up and repainted inside the front valance and across the radiator guard.  

P1380664s.jpg.40a19d69df867a3c152365603321f8d2.jpg

^ here you see work in progress.  I'm getting the car back together for now, and I'll then also clean, check connections and re-route the wiring. 

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

I assume there could be only  standard washer under the nut of the water pump pulley?

If this is the case this is not solid enough, your pulley will become "slack", indeed the washer will be punched.

Guess why I see and know this....

And if this is the case, this was my intension for this thread: to keep toubles away from the TR mates.

Ciao, Marco

I got sick of all the spannering with the Lucas injection and a dizzy so I went a bit radical. Now it's all a sat on my backside job with a laptop and a cup of tea.

Megasquirt, Zeitronix EGO and Jenvey 40mm throttle bodies, electric fan and oil cooler, Rimmer SS exhaust and manifold with wheelbarrow tailpipes. It uses a proper fuel recirculation system with a tank return so no more hot fuel problems (I hope). Still needs some on the road tuning as I only finished it this weekend but it runs nicely. It's put up a fight as it's my first TR6 and every little quirk has caught me out. Now it's off to Racetorations for suspension and brake upgrades, I'm OK with the engine stuff but too old and knackered to wrestle the heavy bits around with the car on a jack.

Got to love triumphs, 6 weeks work, finally finished it and backed it out of the garage. 3 feet over the threshold the heater valve gave up and dumped all the coolant. Luckily I had the nice American one on the shelf which is a lot smoother than the original. Last week it was the bottom radiator hose that let me down, and I still have to replace the aftermarket coolant gauge which reckons 80c is 120c and caused me some hours of grief trying to figure out why the ECU, my turkey thermometer and my IR thermometer said there was no problem but the gauge reckoned I was entering meltdown territory. The week before it was a cheapo EBay alloy TR6 radiator that leaned back at such an angle I couldn't fit the fan without it fouling the chassis member. And don't get me started on fitting a fan belt. That's a task that has never taken 3 hours before.

IMG_1464.jpeg

ain't technology amazing- as are those that understand it !!!!!

welcome Jon - we expect more updates from you :D

36 minutes ago, Hamish said:

ain't technology amazing- as are those that understand it !!!!!

welcome Jon - we expect more updates from you :D

There won't be any updates for a while. I just drove it first time out to Darryl at Racetorations this morning. It was surprisingly civilised for a best guess fuelling map and has definitely picked up some horses since it arrived in my shed 6 weeks ago, even without any tuning or optimisation. Those intakes and exhausts sound lovely, just enough, not too much.

I'm told it will be end of June before the brake/suspension work is finished, he has a very full workshop. Nice chap BTW, he has been very helpful with tech advice and keeps a hell of a lot of stuff on the shelves which is very convenient as he's less than 2 miles from me. Would have taken me weeks longer if I'd not been able to just call him and get a pick up a pile of stuff in a box an hour later.

That efi install looks very neat, what did you do with the Metering Unit from the old PI system?

steve

3 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

That efi install looks very neat, what did you do with the Metering Unit from the old PI system?

steve

It's still on the car with all the pipes disconnected and a plug/O Ring in the top where the dizzy was. I asked racetorations to remove it as they have a new way of plugging the hole which handles retaining the oil pump drive without leaving the metering unit in place.

Ok here is mine. 2nd reincarnation of EFI. First was modified original throttle bodies with single butterfly. (2010) then Jenvey came along with Heritage throttle bodies

and I changed to them. Superb and the induction roar on full chat , intoxicating.Accelerates like a scalded cat.

20210111_135835.jpg

those throttle bodies are a clever idea aren't they :)

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, FatJon said:

There won't be any updates for a while. I just drove it first time out to Darryl at Racetorations this morning. It was surprisingly civilised for a best guess fuelling map and has definitely picked up some horses since it arrived in my shed 6 weeks ago, even without any tuning or optimisation. Those intakes and exhausts sound lovely, just enough, not too much.

I'm told it will be end of June before the brake/suspension work is finished, he has a very full workshop. Nice chap BTW, he has been very helpful with tech advice and keeps a hell of a lot of stuff on the shelves which is very convenient as he's less than 2 miles from me. Would have taken me weeks longer if I'd not been able to just call him and get a pick up a pile of stuff in a box an hour later.

Picked it up from Racetorations this morning. She's now sporting pretty much all new suspension and steering. lowered, competition shocks, AP Brakes, Cosworth hubs, quick rack, bigger brakes and front/rear ARBs, strengthened chassis mounts etc etc.. 

Now for some tuning while the sun's shining, I know, better be quick.

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg