Please take a look under my bonnet

On 4/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, Ali King said:

I notice most of the above are missing oil and corrosion (which I had assumed to be mandatory), so just in the interest of balance ...

(Actually, it is looking a bit better than this now, and very gradually improving).

20200910_165207.jpg

a real engine bay

6 hours ago, Z320 said:

Silence?

Please remember my intention for this thread:

"For the owner it can be very useful to get informations about want is wrong or damaged there......"

This is a look from the left under my bonnet

29VLNOWqZGbRaGEXvJm0O4yZlTDsyqZuO1oSy0Qn

And one from the right

ucIBCz0va4Zw3XgNh-YhUSjNidr3l_6_1oekskQk

Ciao, Marco

I see you have a 'steam hose' from the top of the thermostat housing to what looks like a pressurised expansion bottle.  

Is that bottle connected into the bottom of the radiator somehow?

Is that to ensure the air in the system is vented?

Peter W

Jenvey Heritage TB's, Emerald K6 ECU, IACV & MAP sensor

enginelhs.jpeg

44 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I see you have a 'steam hose' from the top of the thermostat housing to what looks like a pressurised expansion bottle.  

Peter W

+1  interesting.

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter W

Yes, indeed it is.

Do you want to hear the short or full story?

Ciao, Marco

9 hours ago, Lebro said:

Mine in 2012:

2121708258_EngineF.thumb.JPG.86929122eff97a2e64acf31b182c5994.JPG

Note the Derringtons inlet manifold I did not know I had, so sold it  -  Doh!

Bob

I had Derrington inlet but didn’t use it as the porting was soo much bigger than the head ports. So sold it. May be it works that way and the new owner is happy. 

Never thought about it before, but when that Derringtons inlet was designed and sold the TR2 (and maybe TR3) had Le mans heads (nothing special in their head work) and these were equipped with the inlet ports in the heads machined to 1 5/8" dia. So an inlet from them opened to fit would be oversized on the later 1 1/2" inlet port size (better gas speeed) which Hamish and others would be using.

Mick Richards

I'm a "youngster" and still have to work every day  :huh:

But I started already in the background on the thread, I will post it later or tomorrow.

Edited by Z320

In the interests of balance I offer my under hood view, which might make some feel better. I am afraid I have never bothered about the engine compartment appearance, provided the shabbiness is Waxoyl or dirt and I can spot any leaks. The alloy rocker cover is to give a good seal to the head, not for aesthetic considerations. The cognoscenti will note TR5 washer reservoir and electric pump, coil on LH bulkhead with spare on wheel arch, oil cooler, sensible 95Ah battery (since I still run with a dynamo) air horn, Everco heater valve, K&N air filters, beefy no loss ignition leads, 123 Ignition distributor and Kenlowe fan. Out of sight are relays for main and dip beams and fog lights.

Tim

IMG_0207.JPG

Here’s mine.... certainly not as pleasant as others, but it’s used as my daily and does the job well enough for me :) 

........Andy 

E58807C7-8667-47F6-ABF7-AB116DAC83C4.jpeg

946962A2-5A3F-4F11-A66E-45C969500C14.jpeg

FWIW, here is my TR4 under bonnet views - plenty of things wrong, most of them from when this was all done in 2012, and just haven't got round to sorting them - if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my philosophy - but still holding up well - it doesn't get much cossetting either. See how many "wrong uns" you can see -  I won't be offended, honestly!

Cheers Rich  

IMG_0190.JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG - Resized.JPG

Hey Rich, nice.. Might I ask what are the three bolt heads in the LHS inner wheel arch for ?   And is your crankcase breather pipe bunged ? Also it looks as if you have just the earth wire leading to your voltage regulator ?

Pete.

Edited by Bfg
3 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Hey Rich, nice.. Might I ask what are the three bolt heads in the LHS inner wheel arch for ?   And is your crankcase breather pipe bunged ? 

Pete.

Pete - the three bolt heads are actually rubber grommets - those holes were in the inner wing when I first got the car in 1980 and I used them then to mount some air horns which I removed in the rebuild in 2012 - still got them and as they are period pieces, I might re-install then in due course.

My crankcase breather was bunged with a 5/16th bolt , jubilee clipped in, but on it's very first test run, it blew it out and I was lucky not to dent the bonnet - I keep meaning to extend the pipe into a convenient chassis opening nearby but have never got round to it - it doesn't appear to blow out any oil, nor does the snorkel block breather so I've left it alone.

Good 2 spots but there are plenty more!:D

Cheers Rich

;) Oh Ok., I already knew about the down-pipes, narrow fan-belt, your rad ducting ..very neat in aluminium,  spotted the hi-torque starter and so no solenoid, no insulation cover over the battery '+' ..but what about the regulator ?

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

;) Oh Ok., I already knew about the down-pipes, narrow fan-belt, your rad ducting ..very neat in aluminium,  spotted the hi-torque starter and so no solenoid, no insulation cover over the battery '+' ..but what about the regulator ?

Pete - another plus for the regulator spot - its not connected because its an alternator in a dynamo casing ( can't blame you for missing that!) so the voltage regulator is not required - however you need to connect various wires together which were connected to the regulator - you can use the regulator as a connector block to give the impression of originality, but you have to bastardise it to do so, so I've got an old one to do this to, but guess what, I haven't got round to doing it yet:ph34r: Another job on the to do list!

Still quite a few more to find!

Cheers Rich

Having just installed an alternator I was faced with that problem - whether to keep the regulator (as a fake). My first thought was great, more space and simplification, and I don't like fake things, therefore get rid. So then you have to join all those wires together - 6 in my case, 2 from the alternator 3 from the old regulator and one off to my electric fan relay.

To do this I chopped of the spade connectors from the regulator wires, and as they are not very long, that meant no going back. I immediately wished I hadn't done it, so at least I had the choice to go back if I wanted. In some ways I like the idea of being able to make it all standard again.

This made me think a little deeper about why I had this old car and how far to go to improve vs keeping standard. There are clearly two extremes: those that go for concourse, and those (perhaps more so in the US) who will bring modern tech to every single thing they can. Obviously the racers out there have very good reason to modify. I suspect this dilemma is old hat to the more experienced on this forum, but I hadn't really thought it through.

Then a reality check: am I ever actually going to put the old dynamo/fan/fat belt back on - of course not. Am I ever going to wire the regulator back in just for its looks? No.

I must stop over thinking these things.

20210426_181119.jpg